BOXING: Youngster Mark Smith crowned England Boxing Schools champion
- Credit: Archant
Youngster Mark Smith is March Boxing Club’s new golden boy.
The local punching talent was crowned national champion at the England Boxing Schools Championships in Manchester last weekend.
Smith, 12, triumphed in the under 31kg A class, outclassing opponent Billy Jenkins of Sunderland-based club North Star ABC on his way to a unanimous points victory.
Mark’s stablemates and cousins, Tarley and Acer Smith, also performed well, reaching the semi-finals and quarter-finals respectively.
The Schools Championships provide the first experience of major national competition for boxers aged between 12 and 14.
You may also want to watch:
Fighters box their way through regional rounds to reach the finals and winners are rewarded with a pair of England Boxing’s famous golden gloves and, for some, there is an opportunity to represent England.
For more information on March Boxing School, which is based on Century Way, call 07984 658005.
- 1 It's a family affair as planners consider five luxury homes
- 2 Three stores evacuated after suspect 'bomb scare'
- 3 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 4 Police warn you may run but you can't hide from us
- 5 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 6 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 7 Family remembers 'cheeky, friendly and well-liked' mechanic
- 8 Hares hit five, Wisbech win, Whittlesey victorious as Drove triumph
- 9 Chatteris firm with £20m growth plan
- 10 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre