BOXING: Youngster Mark Smith crowned England Boxing Schools champion
- Credit: Archant
Youngster Mark Smith is March Boxing Club’s new golden boy.
The local punching talent was crowned national champion at the England Boxing Schools Championships in Manchester last weekend.
Smith, 12, triumphed in the under 31kg A class, outclassing opponent Billy Jenkins of Sunderland-based club North Star ABC on his way to a unanimous points victory.
Mark’s stablemates and cousins, Tarley and Acer Smith, also performed well, reaching the semi-finals and quarter-finals respectively.
The Schools Championships provide the first experience of major national competition for boxers aged between 12 and 14.
You may also want to watch:
Fighters box their way through regional rounds to reach the finals and winners are rewarded with a pair of England Boxing’s famous golden gloves and, for some, there is an opportunity to represent England.
For more information on March Boxing School, which is based on Century Way, call 07984 658005.
- 1 The Chase contestant from Cambs labelled ‘most stunning’ in show’s history
- 2 ‘It needs to get sorted’ - heartfelt plea after flood nightmare
- 3 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs this year
- 4 Driver peers out of Range Rover while trying to cross flooded Welney Wash
- 5 Road closed and residents without water due to burst water main
- 6 'Eccentric traveller' to ride Penny-Farthing from London to Paris
- 7 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 8 161-mile trip from Yorkshire to Fen village ends in Covid breach fine
- 9 People power brings about changes to £800,000 roundabout scheme
- 10 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby