BOXING: Youngster Mark Smith crowned England Boxing Schools champion
- Credit: Archant
Youngster Mark Smith is March Boxing Club’s new golden boy.
The local punching talent was crowned national champion at the England Boxing Schools Championships in Manchester last weekend.
Smith, 12, triumphed in the under 31kg A class, outclassing opponent Billy Jenkins of Sunderland-based club North Star ABC on his way to a unanimous points victory.
Mark’s stablemates and cousins, Tarley and Acer Smith, also performed well, reaching the semi-finals and quarter-finals respectively.
The Schools Championships provide the first experience of major national competition for boxers aged between 12 and 14.
You may also want to watch:
Fighters box their way through regional rounds to reach the finals and winners are rewarded with a pair of England Boxing’s famous golden gloves and, for some, there is an opportunity to represent England.
For more information on March Boxing School, which is based on Century Way, call 07984 658005.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Residents urged to take twice-weekly rapid Covid-19 tests
- 6 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 7 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 8 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 9 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 10 Ex-glider pilot and education pioneer dies