Brilliant Becky warms up for Duathlon World Championships in style as Fenland runners star
RUNNING star Becky Cousins continued her stylish preparations for the Duathlon World Championships with a stunning run on Saturday.
The Fenland Running Club (FRC) ace was the first lady home in the second of the Peterborough 5K races, which took place at Eye.
Cousins clocked an impressive 18:54 to lead the way for FRC, whose 15 runners all beat the 30-minute mark. She is due to compete in the Duathlon World Championships in Nancy, France, in September.
Jack Trow also continued his fine form to finish seventh in the men’s section in 16:42, while club coach Robin Parker was 18th in 17:37.
Paul Arnold (38th, 18:46), John Chapman (60th, 19:48) and Lucy Chessor (72nd, 20:06) beat their personal bests to seal a memorable event for the club.
You may also want to watch:
March Athletic Club also enjoyed a triumphant weekend as they brought prizes home from a seven-mile race at Sutton on Sunday.
Joe Bradshaw (41:53) was first home for the club and claimed third place overall.
- 1 New offering can help 'encourage more participation in angling'
- 2 Businesses across the Fens reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 3 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 4 ‘The Duke of Edinburgh’s security team wouldn’t let him ride our tandem...’
- 5 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 6 Council to report 'accumulations of tributes' to police
- 7 March Town mark long-awaited return with victory in double-header
- 8 More anti-Semitic graffiti appears in Ely
- 9 Council road sweeper vehicle involved in collision with car
- 10 Retrospective bid for travellers' site
But things got even better for March AC in the team contest, as Bradshaw joined Jason Perring, Andrew Larham, Mick Stacey and Debra Wait to scoop first prize.
Wait (47:09) also won the second lady and first vet prizes with a stunning performance.
Karen Patterson (48:49) took the third lady prize while Ashleigh Patterson received a Queen’s Jubilee Medal for taking part in the two-mile fun run.