Burton backs side to win top of the table tussle with Foxton
- Credit: Archant
CAPTAIN Alan Burton has backed Wisbech to end Foxton’s title challenge when the two sides meet at Harecroft Road on Saturday.
Leaders Wisbech go in to the game 28 points clear of second place Foxton in the Tucker Gardner League following their comfortable 61 run win over Sawston on Saturday.
Ramsey, who are two points further back in third, have what on paper looks like a comfortable home game against basement side Cambridge NCI.
Burton said: “This is a bigger game for Foxton than us. If they lose it puts them out of the league battle and if they beat us we will still be ahead of them. It’s almost a win-win situation.
“Foxton are a good side and I think the table is a fair reflection of who have been the strongest sides this year.
“If we come out and play positively, which is what we always set out to do, we can pick up 25 points and really put ourselves in a strong position for the title.”
Wisbech batted first against Sawston and made 203-9, with James Williams’ 60 the highest score.
- 1 Cambridgeshire man stabbed partner in the neck while she held their baby
- 2 Drug driver attacked man with metal pole and spat at police
- 3 Pupils tell Ofsted school so good they don't want to leave
- 4 March set to light a beacon for Platinum Jubilee
- 5 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 6 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 7 Man who ran 'fly-tippers paradise’ faces £32,000 bill
- 8 Wembley debut 'a highlight of my career' for footballer Reece
- 9 100th birthday for Clovelly House resident
- 10 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
In reply Sawston were skittled out for 142, with Kiwi speedstar Bradley Perrett taking 6-30 and Craig Johnson carrying on his fine form with 3-21.
Burton said: “It was a very good return to form for Bradley (Perrett) and very welcome with the Foxton game this week.
“He has struggled with his rhythm in the past few weeks but he hit all the right areas.
“Craig (Johnson) is a captain’s dream. He is a very clever bowler who always bowls to a plan.”