Burton says Wisbech are in pole position to win league
- Credit: Archant
CAPTAIN Alan Burton says the league is theirs to lose after Wisbech extended their lead over Ramsey on Saturday.
Wisbech batted first and made 210 all out, with Josh Bowers making a vital 82, before the bowlers restricted Ramsey to 138-9.
Ramsey hung on for a draw but Wisbech increased their Tucker Gardner league lead to 20 points with eight games remaining.
Burton said: “It was a strange game because Ramsey were a lot more defensive than we expected. They seemed happy to settle for a draw.
“It was frustrating not to get the last wicket but we have built a good cushion at the top of the league.
“We have important games against Godmanchester and Foxton to come but this league is ours to throw away.
“Foxton have we potential to catch us so that will be a particularly important game.
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 3 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 4 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 5 Isabella, 10, impresses to win top prize ahead of Whittlesey Extravaganza
- 6 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 7 Four charged with modern slavery crimes on one woman
- 8 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 9 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 10 Leslie transforms his life thanks to remarkable weight loss
“The key for us is to keep performing and keep working hard so that we don’t slip up.”
Burton praised Bowers and spinner Craig Johnson, who took 4-26 in Ramsey’s innings, for their efforts on Saturday.
He said: “Bowers played a very good innings. He came in at number three quite early and batted sensibly before playing some shots at the end.
“He really showed his talent and justified his call up to the county side. It’s just a shame that he could not go on and make a hundred.
“Johnson took a crucial wicket in his first over, which really set Ramsey back.
“He bowled brilliantly and is a superb bowler, a captain’s dream.
“He has great control and always bowls to plans.”
Wisbech are at home against Godmanchester in the league tomorrow.