Callum Reed quits Wisbech Town after Appleby refuses to ‘guarantee him football’
MIDFIELD star Callum Reed has left Wisbech Town after manager Steve Appleby refused to guarantee him first team football.
The 23-year-old held talks with Appleby over the weekend after returning from a two-week holiday. The Wisbech boss had previously left him out of the Fenmen side that beat Haverhill Rovers 3-0.
Appleby said: “Callum wanted guaranteed football and he wasn’t happy because I left him out at Haverhill before his two-week holiday.
“I’ve given him more than enough chances.”
Reed starred for Wisbech after signing from Evo-Stick League side Stamford in November, 2010.
You may also want to watch:
He helped them lift the Ridgeons League Cup in May last year - scoring four goals in the semi-final and bagging the winner from the penalty spot in the final.
Reed stunned the Fenmen by defecting to King’s Lynn Town after the cup win - but he returned to the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium without playing a competitive game for Wisbech’s fierce rivals.
- 1 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 2 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 5 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 6 9 never to be forgotten moments from Cambridgeshire politicians
- 7 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 8 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 9 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 10 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
The midfielder missed the conclusion of last season, while he cared for his mother who had fallen ill.