Callum Reed quits Wisbech Town after Appleby refuses to ‘guarantee him football’
MIDFIELD star Callum Reed has left Wisbech Town after manager Steve Appleby refused to guarantee him first team football.
The 23-year-old held talks with Appleby over the weekend after returning from a two-week holiday. The Wisbech boss had previously left him out of the Fenmen side that beat Haverhill Rovers 3-0.
Appleby said: “Callum wanted guaranteed football and he wasn’t happy because I left him out at Haverhill before his two-week holiday.
“I’ve given him more than enough chances.”
Reed starred for Wisbech after signing from Evo-Stick League side Stamford in November, 2010.
He helped them lift the Ridgeons League Cup in May last year - scoring four goals in the semi-final and bagging the winner from the penalty spot in the final.
Reed stunned the Fenmen by defecting to King’s Lynn Town after the cup win - but he returned to the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium without playing a competitive game for Wisbech’s fierce rivals.
- 1 Live music, over 100 stalls and fair rides as Christmas market returns
- 2 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 3 Grandmother paralysed by Covid slowly improving, judge told
- 4 Thief will spend Christmas in prison after breaching court order
- 5 Owner left excited as town's 'heirloom' features on I'm A Celebrity trial
- 6 Drug dealers operating the ‘Marlo’ and ‘Star’ lines have been jailed
- 7 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers
- 8 Rail passengers urged to plan ahead of vital junction rebuild
- 9 Horse rider injured in crash on Ramsey Road in Warboys
- 10 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
The midfielder missed the conclusion of last season, while he cared for his mother who had fallen ill.