Cambridge United to face March Town United in friendly to toast Hares 125th anniversary
MARCH Town United will celebrate their 125th anniversary with a friendly against Blue Square Premier outfit Cambridge United.
Brett Whaley’s Hares - who play five steps below the U’s in the non-league pyramid - will take on a select Cambridge side at the GER on Monday November 7.
And supporters of Ridgeons First Division March can expect to see some of Jez George’s first-team squad during the celebratory clash which is being supported by the Cambridgeshire FA.
March chairman Phil White said: “I’ve got to give credit to our secretary Ray Bennett for getting Cambridge United down here.
“We wanted to play a good football club to mark the occasion so we can put on a decent match for the fans who decide to come and watch. So many people have been through this club over the years that we didn’t just want the anniversary to pass by without doing something.
“Hopefully we’ll get a decent turnout with it being a Monday night and we’ll keep our gate prices the same as normal to encourage people to be part of what should be a great evening.”
Further details for the club’s anniversary celebrations are expected to be announced in the coming weeks.
- 1 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 2 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 3 Wenny Meadow home to rare 'false scorpions', says hidden report
- 4 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 5 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 6 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 7 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 8 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 9 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 10 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
The game will kick-off at March’s Robingoodfellow’s Lane home at 7.45pm. Entry will costs adults �4 and children/concessions �2.
• Visit the March Town United section of our Cambs Times website for more on the Hares’ history and all of the latest news from the GER.
• For all of the latest Hares news follow me, @GavinCaney and Rob Setchell @RobSetchell on Twitter.