Cambridge United to face March Town United in friendly to toast Hares 125th anniversary
MARCH Town United will celebrate their 125th anniversary with a friendly against Blue Square Premier outfit Cambridge United.
Brett Whaley’s Hares - who play five steps below the U’s in the non-league pyramid - will take on a select Cambridge side at the GER on Monday November 7.
And supporters of Ridgeons First Division March can expect to see some of Jez George’s first-team squad during the celebratory clash which is being supported by the Cambridgeshire FA.
March chairman Phil White said: “I’ve got to give credit to our secretary Ray Bennett for getting Cambridge United down here.
“We wanted to play a good football club to mark the occasion so we can put on a decent match for the fans who decide to come and watch. So many people have been through this club over the years that we didn’t just want the anniversary to pass by without doing something.
“Hopefully we’ll get a decent turnout with it being a Monday night and we’ll keep our gate prices the same as normal to encourage people to be part of what should be a great evening.”
Further details for the club’s anniversary celebrations are expected to be announced in the coming weeks.
- 1 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 2 'Rubberneckers' cause second crash trying to view overturned lorry
- 3 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 4 Two women fighting for life after A141 crash
- 5 Chapel conversion withdrawn following stinging rebuke
- 6 Developer going flat out to convert former post office
- 7 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 8 Village farm buildings targeted in arson attack
- 9 Dealer responsible for £500k worth of drugs caught
- 10 Clarion Housing ‘cyber incident’ affects thousands of tenants
The game will kick-off at March’s Robingoodfellow’s Lane home at 7.45pm. Entry will costs adults �4 and children/concessions �2.
• Visit the March Town United section of our Cambs Times website for more on the Hares’ history and all of the latest news from the GER.
• For all of the latest Hares news follow me, @GavinCaney and Rob Setchell @RobSetchell on Twitter.