Cambridgeshire County Girls’ Tesco Cup success for two teams from Fenland
TWO football teams from Fenland have tasted Cambridgeshire County Girls’ Tesco Cup success after winning nerve-jangling finals.
Wisbech St Mary Under-16s showed immense courage to beat Cambridge City 3-2 on penalties after the sides played out a thrilling 3-3 draw.
Jade Kelly’s double left St Mary with both hands on the trophy but an equaliser from Abigail Davies five minutes into injury time forced the tie into extra time.
Kelly capped a fine display by completing her hat-trick but St Mary suffered heartbreak yet again when Lola Boulter took the game to penalty kicks with just 30 seconds left on the clock.
AFC Whittlesey Under-14s also won their county final after edging out Witchford Colts 1-0 in a tense encounter with Annie Posnett’s late goal securing a hard-fought victory.
You may also want to watch:
Both sides have advanced to the Central England Regional Final at Warwick University on May 8.
- 1 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 2 'Physically and mentally exhausted" Matt in plea to find missing beagle
- 3 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 4 Sandbags available ahead as Storm Christoph arrives
- 5 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 6 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 7 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 8 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 9 Fishing park owners await green light to open third lake
- 10 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years