Cambridgeshire County Girls’ Tesco Cup success for two teams from Fenland
TWO football teams from Fenland have tasted Cambridgeshire County Girls’ Tesco Cup success after winning nerve-jangling finals.
Wisbech St Mary Under-16s showed immense courage to beat Cambridge City 3-2 on penalties after the sides played out a thrilling 3-3 draw.
Jade Kelly’s double left St Mary with both hands on the trophy but an equaliser from Abigail Davies five minutes into injury time forced the tie into extra time.
Kelly capped a fine display by completing her hat-trick but St Mary suffered heartbreak yet again when Lola Boulter took the game to penalty kicks with just 30 seconds left on the clock.
AFC Whittlesey Under-14s also won their county final after edging out Witchford Colts 1-0 in a tense encounter with Annie Posnett’s late goal securing a hard-fought victory.
You may also want to watch:
Both sides have advanced to the Central England Regional Final at Warwick University on May 8.
- 1 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 2 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 3 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 4 'Police repeatedly failed me' over noisy neighbour saga, claims resident
- 5 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 6 Fleeing heroin dealer rams police car but they get him in the end
- 7 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 8 Man charged with murder of woman in her 70s
- 9 Lorry driver loses control on motorway in booze-fuelled collision
- 10 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list