Cambridgeshire County Girls’ Tesco Cup success for two teams from Fenland
TWO football teams from Fenland have tasted Cambridgeshire County Girls’ Tesco Cup success after winning nerve-jangling finals.
Wisbech St Mary Under-16s showed immense courage to beat Cambridge City 3-2 on penalties after the sides played out a thrilling 3-3 draw.
Jade Kelly’s double left St Mary with both hands on the trophy but an equaliser from Abigail Davies five minutes into injury time forced the tie into extra time.
Kelly capped a fine display by completing her hat-trick but St Mary suffered heartbreak yet again when Lola Boulter took the game to penalty kicks with just 30 seconds left on the clock.
AFC Whittlesey Under-14s also won their county final after edging out Witchford Colts 1-0 in a tense encounter with Annie Posnett’s late goal securing a hard-fought victory.
You may also want to watch:
Both sides have advanced to the Central England Regional Final at Warwick University on May 8.
- 1 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 2 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 3 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 4 Missing dog found thanks to drone footage
- 5 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 6 Five generations of family members meet up for the first time
- 7 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 8 HMO plans submitted for village pub
- 9 Heroin worth £1.7m found in holdall in car in St Neots
- 10 Motorist crashes into telephone pole at Wyton