Canoeing: Warren records best result of year
MARCH slalom canoeist Warren Pettit faced his toughest Premier League challenge of the season at the weekend but still recorded his best result of the year. In the first of two summer races, Pettit, 25, competed on the hugely technical course at the Natio
MARCH slalom canoeist Warren Pettit faced his toughest Premier League challenge of the season at the weekend but still recorded his best result of the year.
In the first of two summer races, Pettit, 25, competed on the hugely technical course at the National Watersport Centre, in Nottingham.
In bright sunny conditions,he played it safe on his first run but incurred only one penalty, which put him in the top half of the 49-strong field.
His second run was more attacking and Pettit finished the course two seconds ahead of his first attempt.
You may also want to watch:
The course took its toll on the racers and several of the finest canoeists in the country picked up penalties.
However, Pettit's excellent performance and only a couple of time penalties resulted in him finishing 33rd.
- 1 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 2 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 3 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 4 'Police repeatedly failed me' over noisy neighbour saga, claims resident
- 5 Fleeing heroin dealer rams police car but they get him in the end
- 6 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 7 Lorry driver loses control on motorway in booze-fuelled collision
- 8 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 9 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 10 Man charged with murder of woman in her 70s
His best finish of the season has pushed him up to a provisional position of 43rd in the national rankings.
And the result will give Pettit considerable confidence going in to this weekend's races in North Wales.