Canoeing: Warren records best result of year
MARCH slalom canoeist Warren Pettit faced his toughest Premier League challenge of the season at the weekend but still recorded his best result of the year. In the first of two summer races, Pettit, 25, competed on the hugely technical course at the Natio
MARCH slalom canoeist Warren Pettit faced his toughest Premier League challenge of the season at the weekend but still recorded his best result of the year.
In the first of two summer races, Pettit, 25, competed on the hugely technical course at the National Watersport Centre, in Nottingham.
In bright sunny conditions,he played it safe on his first run but incurred only one penalty, which put him in the top half of the 49-strong field.
His second run was more attacking and Pettit finished the course two seconds ahead of his first attempt.
The course took its toll on the racers and several of the finest canoeists in the country picked up penalties.
However, Pettit's excellent performance and only a couple of time penalties resulted in him finishing 33rd.
- 1 Drink-drivers banned off the roads after being caught in March and Wisbech
- 2 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 3 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 5 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 6 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 7 Whistleblower shares story of bullying, fatigue and 'dangerous' hours at ambulance service
- 8 Cannabis, cash and knives discovered after police raids in Whittlesey
- 9 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 10 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
His best finish of the season has pushed him up to a provisional position of 43rd in the national rankings.
And the result will give Pettit considerable confidence going in to this weekend's races in North Wales.