Captain Shippey confident promoted Wisbech Hockey Club can secure mid-table Premier A finish
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Hockey club will be up against a familiar foe when they begin life in the Premier A league on Saturday.
They kick off their league campaign at Harecroft Road astroturf against rivals Ramgarhia, who were promoted alongside Wisbech from Premier B last season.
Captain Jonathan Shippey expects it to be a fierce encounter.
He said: “We have had some tough battles with them over the past few seasons so it will be quite an opening to the new season.”
Shippey is confident his side will give a good account of themselves this season.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “It is an exciting time for the club. Pre-season has been encouraging.
“We’ve strengthened our squad so we should be able to cope better with injuries than last season, where we struggled when key players were missing.
- 1 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 2 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 3 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 4 Man who died in road crash is named
- 5 MP praises 'fantastic' vaccine team after having Covid-19 jab
- 6 Here are your winners of the Pride of Whittlesey awards
- 7 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 8 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 9 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 10 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
“Our primary ambition is to stay up but, if we can stay clear of injuries, I think we can secure a mid-table finish.”
Kick off is 2.30pm and the clubhouse bar will be open.
Wisbech’s Ladies will also be in action against Dereham, with a 1pm start.