Captain Shippey confident promoted Wisbech Hockey Club can secure mid-table Premier A finish
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Hockey club will be up against a familiar foe when they begin life in the Premier A league on Saturday.
They kick off their league campaign at Harecroft Road astroturf against rivals Ramgarhia, who were promoted alongside Wisbech from Premier B last season.
Captain Jonathan Shippey expects it to be a fierce encounter.
He said: “We have had some tough battles with them over the past few seasons so it will be quite an opening to the new season.”
Shippey is confident his side will give a good account of themselves this season.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “It is an exciting time for the club. Pre-season has been encouraging.
“We’ve strengthened our squad so we should be able to cope better with injuries than last season, where we struggled when key players were missing.
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 Family remembers 'cheeky, friendly and well-liked' mechanic
- 3 Diamond celebrations for former mayor and council chairman
- 4 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 5 Body found in Wisbech road
- 6 Chatteris firm with £20m growth plan
- 7 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 8 Crash driver four and a half times over drink drive limit
- 9 Dogs to join hounds across the world in global walk
- 10 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens
“Our primary ambition is to stay up but, if we can stay clear of injuries, I think we can secure a mid-table finish.”
Kick off is 2.30pm and the clubhouse bar will be open.
Wisbech’s Ladies will also be in action against Dereham, with a 1pm start.