Captain Shippey confident promoted Wisbech Hockey Club can secure mid-table Premier A finish
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Hockey club will be up against a familiar foe when they begin life in the Premier A league on Saturday.
They kick off their league campaign at Harecroft Road astroturf against rivals Ramgarhia, who were promoted alongside Wisbech from Premier B last season.
Captain Jonathan Shippey expects it to be a fierce encounter.
He said: “We have had some tough battles with them over the past few seasons so it will be quite an opening to the new season.”
Shippey is confident his side will give a good account of themselves this season.
He said: “It is an exciting time for the club. Pre-season has been encouraging.
“We’ve strengthened our squad so we should be able to cope better with injuries than last season, where we struggled when key players were missing.
- 1 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 2 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 3 Chapel conversion withdrawn following stinging rebuke
- 4 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 5 Dealer responsible for £500k worth of drugs caught
- 6 Developer going flat out to convert former post office
- 7 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
- 8 Captured Cambridgeshire man 'charged with mercenary activities' by Russia
- 9 Man charged with attempted murder as stab victim is found
- 10 Top roles confirmed at council owned housing firm
“Our primary ambition is to stay up but, if we can stay clear of injuries, I think we can secure a mid-table finish.”
Kick off is 2.30pm and the clubhouse bar will be open.
Wisbech’s Ladies will also be in action against Dereham, with a 1pm start.