Captain Shippey confident promoted Wisbech Hockey Club can secure mid-table Premier A finish
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Hockey club will be up against a familiar foe when they begin life in the Premier A league on Saturday.
They kick off their league campaign at Harecroft Road astroturf against rivals Ramgarhia, who were promoted alongside Wisbech from Premier B last season.
Captain Jonathan Shippey expects it to be a fierce encounter.
He said: “We have had some tough battles with them over the past few seasons so it will be quite an opening to the new season.”
Shippey is confident his side will give a good account of themselves this season.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “It is an exciting time for the club. Pre-season has been encouraging.
“We’ve strengthened our squad so we should be able to cope better with injuries than last season, where we struggled when key players were missing.
- 1 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 2 'Physically and mentally exhausted" Matt in plea to find missing beagle
- 3 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 4 Sandbags available ahead as Storm Christoph arrives
- 5 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 6 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 7 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 8 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 9 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
- 10 ‘Boris should try to fill in the forms if he thinks they’re so simple’
“Our primary ambition is to stay up but, if we can stay clear of injuries, I think we can secure a mid-table finish.”
Kick off is 2.30pm and the clubhouse bar will be open.
Wisbech’s Ladies will also be in action against Dereham, with a 1pm start.