Centre back Brown doubles as striker to head Chatteris Town to last-gasp victory
CENTRE back Tony Brown doubled as a striker on Saturday as his last-gasp header clinched Chatteris Town’s second win of 2012.
The Lilies moved a step closer to Kershaw Premier Division safety with a 2-1 win over 10-man Hardwick at West Street.
Richie Allen’s strike chalked off Hardwick’s opener - but it was Brown who popped up with the winner, heading home Hugh Stewart’s stoppage time free-kick.
Caretaker boss Julian Young said: “They had a man sent off with about 20 minutes to go and at that point we knew we had a chance of three points.
“We were just trying to work out a system for putting Tony up top when he came across himself and said: ‘put me up front’.
You may also want to watch:
“Thankfully we did, and those three points might just make a difference come the end of the season.”
Chatteris, who are now four points clear of second-bottom Ely City Reserves, host high-flying Lakenheath on Tuesday (Kick-off 7.45pm).
- 1 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 2 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 3 CCTV released after shopkeeper assaulted in robbery
- 4 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 5 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 6 Town buzzing with buses - for one day only
- 7 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 8 Suspected arsonist charged after health centre fire
- 9 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 10 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
Young added: “The effort and commitment has been impeccable in the last few weeks. There’s belief now.”