Centre back Brown doubles as striker to head Chatteris Town to last-gasp victory
CENTRE back Tony Brown doubled as a striker on Saturday as his last-gasp header clinched Chatteris Town’s second win of 2012.
The Lilies moved a step closer to Kershaw Premier Division safety with a 2-1 win over 10-man Hardwick at West Street.
Richie Allen’s strike chalked off Hardwick’s opener - but it was Brown who popped up with the winner, heading home Hugh Stewart’s stoppage time free-kick.
Caretaker boss Julian Young said: “They had a man sent off with about 20 minutes to go and at that point we knew we had a chance of three points.
“We were just trying to work out a system for putting Tony up top when he came across himself and said: ‘put me up front’.
You may also want to watch:
“Thankfully we did, and those three points might just make a difference come the end of the season.”
Chatteris, who are now four points clear of second-bottom Ely City Reserves, host high-flying Lakenheath on Tuesday (Kick-off 7.45pm).
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 3 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 6 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 7 Dad has 'much more energy to run around' with son after losing four stone
- 8 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?
- 9 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 10 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
Young added: “The effort and commitment has been impeccable in the last few weeks. There’s belief now.”