Centre Jack Hoyles makes impressive return but Wisbech crash to defeat at Wanstead
THE return of centre Jack Hoyles failed to inspire Wisbech Rugby Club on Saturday as they crashed to a 23-5 defeat at Wanstead.
Hoyles has re-signed for Wisbech after a spell with North Walsham and he was one of nine changes to the side which beat table-topping Upminster last week.
Ben Dawson also returned after a long-term hamstring problem, but he was forced off before half time with a recurrence of the injury.
The blow summed up a bad day for Cliff Humphrey’s side, whose pack failed to take control at the break down.
Joe Barfoot scored Wisbech’s only try from a neat move, but a well-drilled Wanstead cruised to their third win of the season.
You may also want to watch:
Captain David Wadsley admitted he was disappointed with the loss but said the return of Hoyles could be a big boost to the club.
Wisbech, who sit sixth in London North-East Division Three, travel to bottom-of-the-league East London on Saturday in the second round of the Senior Vase.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Residents urged to take twice-weekly rapid Covid-19 tests
- 6 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 7 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 8 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 9 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 10 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
• TEENAGER Nathan Goodale toasted his senior debut with a hat-trick for Wisbech II as they ran in 11 tries against Watton.
Ryan Tate (3), Tom Goose (2), Nick Thompsett (2) and debutant Michael Buckenham also crashed over in the emphatic 63-12 victory.
The second string host Beccles II in the Norfolk Plate on Saturday. Kick-off 3pm.