Centre Jack Hoyles makes impressive return but Wisbech crash to defeat at Wanstead
THE return of centre Jack Hoyles failed to inspire Wisbech Rugby Club on Saturday as they crashed to a 23-5 defeat at Wanstead.
Hoyles has re-signed for Wisbech after a spell with North Walsham and he was one of nine changes to the side which beat table-topping Upminster last week.
Ben Dawson also returned after a long-term hamstring problem, but he was forced off before half time with a recurrence of the injury.
The blow summed up a bad day for Cliff Humphrey’s side, whose pack failed to take control at the break down.
Joe Barfoot scored Wisbech’s only try from a neat move, but a well-drilled Wanstead cruised to their third win of the season.
You may also want to watch:
Captain David Wadsley admitted he was disappointed with the loss but said the return of Hoyles could be a big boost to the club.
Wisbech, who sit sixth in London North-East Division Three, travel to bottom-of-the-league East London on Saturday in the second round of the Senior Vase.
- 1 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 2 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 3 CCTV released after shopkeeper assaulted in robbery
- 4 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 5 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 6 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 7 Town buzzing with buses - for one day only
- 8 Suspected arsonist charged after health centre fire
- 9 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 10 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
• TEENAGER Nathan Goodale toasted his senior debut with a hat-trick for Wisbech II as they ran in 11 tries against Watton.
Ryan Tate (3), Tom Goose (2), Nick Thompsett (2) and debutant Michael Buckenham also crashed over in the emphatic 63-12 victory.
The second string host Beccles II in the Norfolk Plate on Saturday. Kick-off 3pm.