Centre Jack Hoyles makes impressive return but Wisbech crash to defeat at Wanstead
THE return of centre Jack Hoyles failed to inspire Wisbech Rugby Club on Saturday as they crashed to a 23-5 defeat at Wanstead.
Hoyles has re-signed for Wisbech after a spell with North Walsham and he was one of nine changes to the side which beat table-topping Upminster last week.
Ben Dawson also returned after a long-term hamstring problem, but he was forced off before half time with a recurrence of the injury.
The blow summed up a bad day for Cliff Humphrey’s side, whose pack failed to take control at the break down.
Joe Barfoot scored Wisbech’s only try from a neat move, but a well-drilled Wanstead cruised to their third win of the season.
Captain David Wadsley admitted he was disappointed with the loss but said the return of Hoyles could be a big boost to the club.
Wisbech, who sit sixth in London North-East Division Three, travel to bottom-of-the-league East London on Saturday in the second round of the Senior Vase.
- 1 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 2 Live music, over 100 stalls and fair rides as Christmas market returns
- 3 Thief will spend Christmas in prison after breaching court order
- 4 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 5 Owner left excited as town's 'heirloom' features on I'm A Celebrity trial
- 6 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 7 Horse rider injured in crash on Ramsey Road in Warboys
- 8 Drug dealers operating the ‘Marlo’ and ‘Star’ lines have been jailed
- 9 Grandmother paralysed by Covid slowly improving, judge told
- 10 Rail passengers urged to plan ahead of vital junction rebuild
• TEENAGER Nathan Goodale toasted his senior debut with a hat-trick for Wisbech II as they ran in 11 tries against Watton.
Ryan Tate (3), Tom Goose (2), Nick Thompsett (2) and debutant Michael Buckenham also crashed over in the emphatic 63-12 victory.
The second string host Beccles II in the Norfolk Plate on Saturday. Kick-off 3pm.