Chairman Bright appeals for help after Chatteris Town’s three teams ship 29 goals... in one day
CHAIRMAN Steve Bright has called for more help on and off the pitch after Chatteris Town’s three teams shipped 29 goals in a disastrous weekend.
The Lilies, who are rooted to the bottom of the Kershaw Premier League, were drubbed 11-0 at Cottenham United on Saturday. The club’s reserves were thumped 10-3 by Fowlmere while the A team were beaten 8-2 by Soham United Reserves.
Bright, who manages the first team alongside Leigh Matthews, admitted that the club desperately needed more senior players.
“Cottenham were a very experienced side and we played into their hands,” he said. “We were naive, we gave the ball away and we put ourselves under pressure.
“We’ve got some young lads playing who aren’t quite ready for that standard. We need some senior players and unfortunately the ones we’ve approached haven’t come.”
Bright also appealed for more volunteers to help the club off the pitch and on match days.
“I’ll speak to anybody who is willing to volunteer to help the club,” he said. “I would never turn anyone away who thought they could help us improve.
- 1 Drink-drivers banned off the roads after being caught in March and Wisbech
- 2 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 3 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 5 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 6 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 7 Whistleblower shares story of bullying, fatigue and 'dangerous' hours at ambulance service
- 8 Cannabis, cash and knives discovered after police raids in Whittlesey
- 9 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 10 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
“It’s tough at the moment. We’ve just got to soldier on and do the best we can with the players we’ve got.”
Chatteris host Eaton Socon in the Kershaw Premier League Cup on Saturday. Anyone interested in helping the Lilies should contact Bright on 07900327270.