Chairman hails positive approach after Chatteris Town resume relegation battle with a win
CHAIRMAN Shaun Hayden hailed the positive atmosphere at West Street after relegation-threatened Chatteris Town began 2013 with a win.
The Lilies moved off the bottom of the Kershaw Premier League with a 2-1 victory over mid-table Lakenheath on Saturday.
Two goals from midfield star Jack Saunders and an inspired goalkeeping performance from Max Flintoff secured the three points - despite striker Richie Allen being sent off in the second half for lashing out at an opponent.
Hayden said: “It was great to see a win, especially after the draw with Fulbourn Institute in the previous game where we played well enough to win.
“We’ve got a good team together now which I believe will see us through this season. The mood is more positive and not paying subs has definitely helped that.”
You may also want to watch:
Chatteris, who sit second-bottom with just 10 points from 19 games, host fellow strugglers Ely City Reserves on Saturday.
Hayden said: “It’s a bit of a six-pointer and these are the games we’ve got to win.
- 1 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 2 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 3 Owner's desperate plea - and £500 reward - to find missing dog
- 4 Rugby club fears vendetta after vandals strike again
- 5 'Big red key' used by cops in dawn raid on suspected drug dealers
- 6 Ditch crash victim seriously injured
- 7 Nitrous oxide canisters no laughing matter say Fenland police
- 8 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 9 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 10 Tributes to 'loving, kind family man' and community stalwart
“We’ve got that positive attitude now and Leigh Matthews (co-manager) has really stepped up to the mark. He has been great and he has also changed the format at training.”
Wisbech St Mary beat Ely City Reserves 3-0 on Saturday, while Chatteris Town A were also celebrating as they crushed Milton A 5-1.