CHAMPION...again! March Amateur Boxing Club star Stevens wins Great British junior title
BOXING sensation Charlie Stevens completed a phenomenal season by becoming Great Britain Junior Champion in Cardiff at the weekend.
The March Amateur Boxing Club star became Junior Amateur Boxing Association Champion at the end of May but continued his hot streak to beat Scotland’s and Wales’ finest to win the three nations championship.
The 15-year-old, from Upwell, beat Wales’ James Leary 10-4 in Friday’s semi-final before winning a thrilling final against Scotland’s William Mowat 16-11 on Saturday night.
March ABC coach Dave Cole said: “Charlie’s had a really good season - he’s won 10 fights out of 10.
“He’s boxed all the best lads in the country and beaten them all and now he’s become the best boxer in Great Britain for his age group at 60kg. It’s a massive achievement, it really is.
You may also want to watch:
“He’s got lots of natural talent but he works really hard and his success and motivation is rubbing off on our other boxers.
“His win is great for himself, the club, and the people of March who have supported us fantastically again this season.”
- 1 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 2 Students dare to dream of England Lionesses spot after trial success
- 3 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 5 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 6 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
- 7 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 8 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 9 Live updates as cyclist is ‘hit by lorry’ near March secondary school
- 10 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
Stevens’ sensational double success is the club’s third major title this season with Vicky Larham - March ABC’s first female boxer in its 62-year history - becoming a national champion after just four bouts.
Will Sutton, the club’s treasurer, said: “Charlie, Vicky and indeed the rest of the club have had a very good season and they all deserve their success.
“The boxers all train so hard - but it should not be forgotten that Dave Cole, Bernie Wing, and the rest of the club’s trainers put in hundreds of hours for the club, and travel thousands of miles, very often at their own expense.
“They are an absolute credit to the club and to the town of March.”