CHAMPION...again! March Amateur Boxing Club star Stevens wins Great British junior title
BOXING sensation Charlie Stevens completed a phenomenal season by becoming Great Britain Junior Champion in Cardiff at the weekend.
The March Amateur Boxing Club star became Junior Amateur Boxing Association Champion at the end of May but continued his hot streak to beat Scotland’s and Wales’ finest to win the three nations championship.
The 15-year-old, from Upwell, beat Wales’ James Leary 10-4 in Friday’s semi-final before winning a thrilling final against Scotland’s William Mowat 16-11 on Saturday night.
March ABC coach Dave Cole said: “Charlie’s had a really good season - he’s won 10 fights out of 10.
“He’s boxed all the best lads in the country and beaten them all and now he’s become the best boxer in Great Britain for his age group at 60kg. It’s a massive achievement, it really is.
“He’s got lots of natural talent but he works really hard and his success and motivation is rubbing off on our other boxers.
“His win is great for himself, the club, and the people of March who have supported us fantastically again this season.”
- 1 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 2 Thousands descend on Chatteris as town lights up for Christmas
- 3 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 4 Councils bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 5 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 6 Auditor who fell ill on eve of farmgate report not returning to council
- 7 Health chiefs call for action amid rise in sexually transmitted infections
- 8 Check before you travel ahead of major upgrade, commuters warned
- 9 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 10 ‘We try to think outside the box’ - Alpacas pay a visit to care home
Stevens’ sensational double success is the club’s third major title this season with Vicky Larham - March ABC’s first female boxer in its 62-year history - becoming a national champion after just four bouts.
Will Sutton, the club’s treasurer, said: “Charlie, Vicky and indeed the rest of the club have had a very good season and they all deserve their success.
“The boxers all train so hard - but it should not be forgotten that Dave Cole, Bernie Wing, and the rest of the club’s trainers put in hundreds of hours for the club, and travel thousands of miles, very often at their own expense.
“They are an absolute credit to the club and to the town of March.”