Champion Gill in ruthless form as young stars shine at Chatteris ABC show
BRITISH champion Jordan Gill earned a standing ovation from his home crowd on Saturday after he defeated a boxer 11 years his senior.
The 17-year-old, who is set to turn professional in the summer, starred as Chatteris Amateur Boxing Club held their dinner show in front of a full house at the Sportsman.
England junior Gill, the Clubs for Young People (CYP) British Champion, put in a classy performance against 28-year-old Eastgate boxer Karl Allen, who boasts a record of more than 50 wins.
Powerful hooks from the Chatteris ace saw Allen given two standing eight counts before the referee stopped the bout in the final round - awarding Gill the victory by technical knockout.
But Gill was not the only young star in impressive form for Chatteris. Ryan Ducker triumphed over Wisbech’s Johnny Maloney in a spectacular opening bout before Dean Baxter notched another win for the club.
You may also want to watch:
Chatteris’ George Chrysanthou fell to a narrow defeat but Peter Axelsen finished the night in style by winning his debut bout for the club. Axelsen stopped his opponent in the first round to seal an emphatic first performance in Chatteris colours.
Perce Baxter continued his sparkling form for March ABC by stopping his opponent in the second round, while Regan Lazenby was pipped by Cambridge ABC’s Casey Dunning.
- 1 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 2 Retrospective bid for travellers' site
- 3 Council road sweeper vehicle involved in collision with car
- 4 Duke's death in midst of unprecedented times for country
- 5 Residents escape kitchen fire after bank holiday blaze
- 6 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
- 7 Former homeless recreate ‘Lunch atop a Skyscraper’ photograph
- 8 Cambridgeshire mourns death of HRH Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh
- 9 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Ely
- 10 Christine prepares to brave the shave for cancer-battling sister
Chatteris coach Paul Gill said it had been a “wonderful night for boxing” and thanked the Sportsman as well as the fans, promoters and caterers.