Chatteris Amateur Boxing Club’s stars taste glory as they continue preparations for their club’s big show
CHATTERIS Amateur Boxing Club’s young stars continued their preparations for their club’s big event next month with successful bouts across the country last weekend.
Jordan Gill, 16, beat Tommy Beaney in the national Clubs for Young People (CYP) quarter final at Brentwood Leisure Centre in Essex on Sunday.
Gill won a close contest 14-11 to beat the West Ham boxer who had only lost one fight before the encounter and has been crowned national Golden Gloves Champion three times.
The teenager, who trained at Ricky Hatton’s gym this summer, now travels to Wales this weekend to face reigning CYP champion Michael Ballingall, in the semi final.
Richard Calaunan also tasted victory this weekend as he beat Sam Gilley at the Haddenham Open Show, near Ely, on Saturday night.
The 17-year-old won on a majority decision but 11-year-old hot prospect Dean Baxter was unlucky to lose, also on a majority verdict, against Harry Bailey from Southend.
Tickets are still available for the Chatteris ABC show on November 13 at Cromwell Community College.
- 1 Wembley debut 'a highlight of my career' for footballer Reece
- 2 March set to light a beacon for Platinum Jubilee
- 3 Cambridgeshire man stabbed partner in the neck while she held their baby
- 4 Drug driver attacked man with metal pole and spat at police
- 5 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 6 Jon serves up a painting fit for Her Majesty
- 7 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 8 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 9 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 10 Drug-driver killed co-worker on B1101 Elm Road in March
Contact Matty Payne, on 01354 693630, for tickets to see the event billed as “Fenland’s Finest v Staffordshire’s Best”.