Chatteris cricket round-up
Two sides were victorious while the seconds slipped to defeat in their top of the table clash.
Chatteris beat Eversden by seven wickets
Chatteris first team kept their very slim promotion hopes alive with a seven- wicket win at home to Eversden in senior 3 as second place Girton lost.
Chatteris bowled first and had the visitors at 11-3 in just the 12th over but a good partnership of 41 between S Bidwell (25) and A Lenton (20) helped push Eversden to 52 for 4. Young spin bowler Dom Platt produced a fine spell of bowling and took five wickets that left the visitors 81 all out.
Chatteris were never in any trouble chasing such a low target and reached their total in just 20.4 overs.
You may also want to watch:
Chatteris II lost to Willingham by 56 runs
Willingham have now replaced Chatteris Seconds at the top of the league after this clash. Former Chatteris player Ian Shinton (39) and Tom Cowley (27) put on 85 for the first wicket in just 19 overs as the Chatteris bowlers struggled to find the right line and were punished. Matt Fisher, who scored 61, was dropped twice while in single figures leaving the visitors chasing 193 for victory. In reply Chatteris made a slow start with only Kev Felton (45) and Paul Foster 32 not out making any impact on the home sides total. Chatteris could only reach 136-7 but did pick up three batting points in the process.
- 1 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
- 2 Pub car park approved despite 13 residents' noise concerns
- 3 Stunning drone footage shows prom night in all its glory
- 4 Pub demolition decision deferred
- 5 Yard sale raises over £1,400 from second annual event
- 6 Work starts on £3.16m apprenticeship training school
- 7 'Panicked' dangerous driver apologises after 90mph police pursuit
- 8 Councillors praised for 'tireless' illegal encampment work
- 9 Rural theft cost Cambridgeshire £2 million in 2020
- 10 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
Chatteris III beat Soham II by five wickets
A very young and makeshift home side lost the toss and were asked to bowl first. Opener P Fretwell made 58 before being caught superbly by 13-year-old Connor Morton while another youngster, Karl Anderson, 14, took a superb hat-trick. Soham were finally all out for a daunting 183. Chatteris lost both openers quickly, Ben Hollis (4) and Ben Collett (15) but two really good partnerships steadied the ship for the home side. Stuart Porter and Aaron Bailey made 56 runs before Porter and Oli Bailey added another 59 between them to push Chatteris towards victory. A superb knock off 83 not out from Stuart Porter got the young side home with just one over to spare.