Chatteris manager bemoans fixture list after Lilies bounce back with victory
LILIES boss Jimmy Unwin believes his players are adapting well to life in the Kershaw Premier Division but criticised his side’s fixture schedule.
Chatteris bounced back from Saturday’s 2-0 defeat against Whittlesford United by beating Cottenham United 5-3 in a thriller at West Street on Tuesday night. Unwin doesn’t believe the backlog of home games is doing his young side any favours as they adapt after last year’s promotion.
He said: “The fixture list hasn’t been kind and will really hurt us towards the end of the season.
“We’ve got nine out of our 10 first games at home which doesn’t make sense as will be travelling everywhere for night games later on in the season.”
Richard Harnwell, Aaron Collins, Jonny Brierly and a double from Richie Allen secured the sides first win after losing and drawing their opening two games.
“We gave away three sloppy goals but their keeper made some fantastic saves,” said Unwin.
“It helps that we had a full compliment of players as we had five returning who missed Saturday. If we hadn’t had those five unavailable I think we would have beaten Whittlesford United too.
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 3 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 4 Four charged with modern slavery crimes on one woman
- 5 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 6 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 7 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 8 Isabella, 10, impresses to win top prize ahead of Whittlesey Extravaganza
- 9 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 10 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
“The lads have noticed they are facing some really experienced players since our promotion but we are finding our feet really well and I believe in them.”
Chatteris face Fulbourn Institute (Saturday) and Over Sports (Tuesday) at home this week.