Chatteris manager bemoans fixture list after Lilies bounce back with victory
LILIES boss Jimmy Unwin believes his players are adapting well to life in the Kershaw Premier Division but criticised his side’s fixture schedule.
Chatteris bounced back from Saturday’s 2-0 defeat against Whittlesford United by beating Cottenham United 5-3 in a thriller at West Street on Tuesday night. Unwin doesn’t believe the backlog of home games is doing his young side any favours as they adapt after last year’s promotion.
He said: “The fixture list hasn’t been kind and will really hurt us towards the end of the season.
“We’ve got nine out of our 10 first games at home which doesn’t make sense as will be travelling everywhere for night games later on in the season.”
Richard Harnwell, Aaron Collins, Jonny Brierly and a double from Richie Allen secured the sides first win after losing and drawing their opening two games.
You may also want to watch:
“We gave away three sloppy goals but their keeper made some fantastic saves,” said Unwin.
“It helps that we had a full compliment of players as we had five returning who missed Saturday. If we hadn’t had those five unavailable I think we would have beaten Whittlesford United too.
- 1 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 2 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 3 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 4 March Town mark long-awaited step five return with opening day defeat
- 5 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 6 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 7 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 8 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 9 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 10 Alleged paedophile released on bail
“The lads have noticed they are facing some really experienced players since our promotion but we are finding our feet really well and I believe in them.”
Chatteris face Fulbourn Institute (Saturday) and Over Sports (Tuesday) at home this week.