Chatteris manager bemoans fixture list after Lilies bounce back with victory
LILIES boss Jimmy Unwin believes his players are adapting well to life in the Kershaw Premier Division but criticised his side’s fixture schedule.
Chatteris bounced back from Saturday’s 2-0 defeat against Whittlesford United by beating Cottenham United 5-3 in a thriller at West Street on Tuesday night. Unwin doesn’t believe the backlog of home games is doing his young side any favours as they adapt after last year’s promotion.
He said: “The fixture list hasn’t been kind and will really hurt us towards the end of the season.
“We’ve got nine out of our 10 first games at home which doesn’t make sense as will be travelling everywhere for night games later on in the season.”
Richard Harnwell, Aaron Collins, Jonny Brierly and a double from Richie Allen secured the sides first win after losing and drawing their opening two games.
You may also want to watch:
“We gave away three sloppy goals but their keeper made some fantastic saves,” said Unwin.
“It helps that we had a full compliment of players as we had five returning who missed Saturday. If we hadn’t had those five unavailable I think we would have beaten Whittlesford United too.
- 1 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 2 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 3 'Physically and mentally exhausted" Matt in plea to find missing beagle
- 4 Sandbags available ahead as Storm Christoph arrives
- 5 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 6 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 7 Fishing park owners await green light to open third lake
- 8 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend
- 9 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 10 Driver bids to drift towards fruitful career with national success
“The lads have noticed they are facing some really experienced players since our promotion but we are finding our feet really well and I believe in them.”
Chatteris face Fulbourn Institute (Saturday) and Over Sports (Tuesday) at home this week.