Chatteris manager bemoans fixture list after Lilies bounce back with victory
LILIES boss Jimmy Unwin believes his players are adapting well to life in the Kershaw Premier Division but criticised his side’s fixture schedule.
Chatteris bounced back from Saturday’s 2-0 defeat against Whittlesford United by beating Cottenham United 5-3 in a thriller at West Street on Tuesday night. Unwin doesn’t believe the backlog of home games is doing his young side any favours as they adapt after last year’s promotion.
He said: “The fixture list hasn’t been kind and will really hurt us towards the end of the season.
“We’ve got nine out of our 10 first games at home which doesn’t make sense as will be travelling everywhere for night games later on in the season.”
Richard Harnwell, Aaron Collins, Jonny Brierly and a double from Richie Allen secured the sides first win after losing and drawing their opening two games.
“We gave away three sloppy goals but their keeper made some fantastic saves,” said Unwin.
“It helps that we had a full compliment of players as we had five returning who missed Saturday. If we hadn’t had those five unavailable I think we would have beaten Whittlesford United too.
- 1 Cambridgeshire man stabbed partner in the neck while she held their baby
- 2 Pupils tell Ofsted school so good they don't want to leave
- 3 Man who ran 'fly-tippers paradise’ faces £32,000 bill
- 4 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 5 100th birthday for Clovelly House resident
- 6 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 7 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 8 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 9 Drug driver attacked man with metal pole and spat at police
- 10 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
“The lads have noticed they are facing some really experienced players since our promotion but we are finding our feet really well and I believe in them.”
Chatteris face Fulbourn Institute (Saturday) and Over Sports (Tuesday) at home this week.