Chatteris runner qualifies for British Colleges National Championships
- Credit: Archant
Talented Chatteris long-distance runner Jevan Robertson is heading for the national stage after winning a place in the finals of the British Colleges National Championships, one of the largest annual sporting events in the country.
The 18-year-old Cambridge Regional College Sport student will be representing the east of England in the cross country running final after qualifying in the regional heats.
He will be among 1,800 sporting stars from colleges across England competing in next year’s finals – with the region winning the most points picking up the prestigious Wilkinson Sword trophy.
Jevan, of The Elms, Chatteris, said he was looking forward to the championships.
“I run five or six times a week and in March I trialled for the world cross country trials. I didn’t qualify but my ambition is to wear an England vest. I have been running since I was about 14 - I used to play football and go running to train but I realised I was better at running than football” he said.
Fellow CRC student Callum Brookes, from Saffron Walden, will be joining Jevan in the finals after qualifying in the Golf competition.
Kate Da Costa, head of CRC’s Faculty of Sport, said: “It’s a fantastic achievement for two of our students to qualify for the national championships and we are very proud of them. Callum and Jevan are both very talented sportsmen and we are absolutely delighted they will be representing the college and the region in next year’s finals.”
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 3 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 4 Four charged with modern slavery crimes on one woman
- 5 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 6 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 7 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 8 Isabella, 10, impresses to win top prize ahead of Whittlesey Extravaganza
- 9 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 10 Man who died in St Neots crash is named