Chatteris St Peter’s Tennis club ends successful 12-week coaching course with junior tournament
- Credit: Archant
Tennis aces of the future headed town to Chatteris St Peter’s Club for their Junior Competition as the curtain came down on the club’s 12-week coaching course.
Youngsters aged five to 18 showcased the skills they’d learnt throughout the course, and all those who took part were nominated for the Julie Wing award – an award given in memory of former club member, Julie Wing.
Liam Garcia was the first ever recipient of the award, and coach Lisa Kennedy says he was a worthy winner.
She said: “Liam has not only shown potential as a good tennis player, but also demonstrated enthusiasm, effort and sportsmanship on the court.”
Junior competition winners:
Winner: Archie Maclean
- 1 Three March locals win £30k each on Postcode Lottery
- 2 Council calls for return to mask wearing as Covid soars
- 3 Man assaulted partner and police officers in March
- 4 Police officer dismissed for breaching bail conditions
- 5 Carnival lights up village as sports day marks 100 years
- 6 Arsonist started fire in Wisbech care home
- 7 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 8 Steve Barclay becomes Health Secretary following shock resignations
- 9 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 10 Big Bash concludes eight days of triumph for town
Runner-up: Logan Barbault
Winner: Lauren Thompson
Runner-up: Harry Beddingfield
Winner: Sam Perry
Runner-up: Cameron Smart
The club is also hosting another Great British Tennis Weekend event this Saturday (16) between 12pm and 4pm.
The Great British Tennis Weekend (GBTW) is a nationwide ‘open days’ campaign driving more people to play tennis by offering free opportunities to play.
For more information on Chatteris Tennis Club, call 01354 695014 or visit www.chatteristennis.com.