Chatteris St Peter’s Tennis club ends successful 12-week coaching course with junior tournament
- Credit: Archant
Tennis aces of the future headed town to Chatteris St Peter’s Club for their Junior Competition as the curtain came down on the club’s 12-week coaching course.
Youngsters aged five to 18 showcased the skills they’d learnt throughout the course, and all those who took part were nominated for the Julie Wing award – an award given in memory of former club member, Julie Wing.
Liam Garcia was the first ever recipient of the award, and coach Lisa Kennedy says he was a worthy winner.
She said: “Liam has not only shown potential as a good tennis player, but also demonstrated enthusiasm, effort and sportsmanship on the court.”
Junior competition winners:
You may also want to watch:
Winner: Archie Maclean
- 1 Owner's desperate plea - and £500 reward - to find missing dog
- 2 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 3 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 4 'Big red key' used by cops in dawn raid on suspected drug dealers
- 5 Ditch crash victim seriously injured
- 6 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 7 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 8 Dad of two killed on Fen road
- 9 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
- 10 Pedestrian dies at scene of crash
Runner-up: Logan Barbault
Winner: Lauren Thompson
Runner-up: Harry Beddingfield
Winner: Sam Perry
Runner-up: Cameron Smart
The club is also hosting another Great British Tennis Weekend event this Saturday (16) between 12pm and 4pm.
The Great British Tennis Weekend (GBTW) is a nationwide ‘open days’ campaign driving more people to play tennis by offering free opportunities to play.
For more information on Chatteris Tennis Club, call 01354 695014 or visit www.chatteristennis.com.