Chatteris teenager Harrison selected for England hockey under-18s
- Credit: Archant
A Fenland teenage hockey star is one of the youngest players to be selected for the England under-18s girls side.
Georgia Harrison, of Chatteris, is one of 23 to make the squad despite not turning 17 until September.
The Kings School in Peterborough pupil will take part in various training camps and go on tour to Holland and Belgium before representing her country in the prestigious Four Nations tournament.
She said: “I did not expect to get a trial, let along be in the squad. I think I’m the third youngest in the whole squad. It’s very exciting.”
Harrison, who plays in midfield for Leicester Ladies, first picked up a stick as a four year-old at March Town Hockey Club.
You may also want to watch:
Hockey definitely runs in the family - parents Rob and Lindsey both play for City of Peterborough.
The teenager is currently on the sidelines battling shin splints but hopes to be back to full fitness soon.
- 1 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 2 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 3 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 4 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 5 Shoplifter jailed after stealing goods worth £1,600
- 6 Crossing company praised for using local workers and suppliers
- 7 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?
- 8 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 9 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 10 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
She said: “I’ve been doing a really intense fitness programme and playing a lot of hockey so it is something I’m going to have to manage.”
Harrison has received a boost from Fenland District Council, which has named her as one of the Fenland Sports Stars of the Future.
As part of the scheme, she has been given free membership to her local gym, Chatteris Leisure, which she says will help her with her training.
She said: “The scheme has helped me so much. In the past I’ve had to use the school gym after school but now I can pop down the road and take advantage of the Chatteris gym to help me with my strength and conditioning programme.
“There are also circuit classes I’d like to try. I’m very grateful for the support.”
To be eligible for Fenland Sports Stars of the Future, you need to be a talented sportsperson between the age of 14 and 18.
Previous recipients of the scheme include promising swimmer Liam Knight, of Wisbech, who hopes to be selected for this summer’s Commonwealth Games.
For more information about the scheme, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Sports Development team at 01354 654321