Chatteris Town 3 - 0 Fulbourn Institute
- Credit: Archant
BOSS Steve Bright hailed his relegation threatened side after they produced an impressive performance to beat high flying Folbourn Institute 3-0.
Ben Matthews scored twice and Jack Saunders hit a spectacular long range strike to secure Chatteris Town a crucial win over a side 11 places above them in the Cambs League Premier Division.
The win keeps them in 16th place, five points behind Waterbeach, with three games of their season remaining.
Steve Bright said: “We always seem to play better against the best teams.
“It was a really good team performance and a valuable three points.
“They huffed and puffed but didn’t really create good chances.
“The win was no more than we deserved. In the past month we have been playing well and this result gives us a fighting chance of survival.”
- 1 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 2 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 3 Dealer responsible for £500k worth of drugs caught
- 4 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 5 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
- 6 Captured Cambridgeshire man 'charged with mercenary activities' by Russia
- 7 Man dies after van and lorry crash on A141
- 8 Man charged with attempted murder as stab victim is found
- 9 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 10 Man who died in A141 crash named
The first goal came after Stuart Porter made a powerful run and whipped a dangerous ball into the box, which the Folbourn goalkeeper could not handle.
Matthers reacted quickest and pounced to put Chatteris ahead.
His second goal was more eye-catching, He cut across several defenders before curling a low effort past the keeper.
Saunders third will live long in the memory, a tremendous shot that nestled in the top corner.
Chatteris are next in action tomorrow away at Littleport Town.