Chatteris Town 3 - 0 Fulbourn Institute
- Credit: Archant
BOSS Steve Bright hailed his relegation threatened side after they produced an impressive performance to beat high flying Folbourn Institute 3-0.
Ben Matthews scored twice and Jack Saunders hit a spectacular long range strike to secure Chatteris Town a crucial win over a side 11 places above them in the Cambs League Premier Division.
The win keeps them in 16th place, five points behind Waterbeach, with three games of their season remaining.
Steve Bright said: “We always seem to play better against the best teams.
“It was a really good team performance and a valuable three points.
You may also want to watch:
“They huffed and puffed but didn’t really create good chances.
“The win was no more than we deserved. In the past month we have been playing well and this result gives us a fighting chance of survival.”
- 1 161-mile trip from Yorkshire to Fen village ends in Covid breach fine
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Green light for off-licence despite objections
- 4 'Eccentric traveller' to ride Penny-Farthing from London to Paris
- 5 All staff and residents at Chatteris care home now vaccinated against Covid
- 6 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 7 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs this year
- 8 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response
- 9 MP wants an end to floods misery in the Fens
- 10 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
The first goal came after Stuart Porter made a powerful run and whipped a dangerous ball into the box, which the Folbourn goalkeeper could not handle.
Matthers reacted quickest and pounced to put Chatteris ahead.
His second goal was more eye-catching, He cut across several defenders before curling a low effort past the keeper.
Saunders third will live long in the memory, a tremendous shot that nestled in the top corner.
Chatteris are next in action tomorrow away at Littleport Town.