Chatteris Town 3 - 0 Fulbourn Institute
- Credit: Archant
BOSS Steve Bright hailed his relegation threatened side after they produced an impressive performance to beat high flying Folbourn Institute 3-0.
Ben Matthews scored twice and Jack Saunders hit a spectacular long range strike to secure Chatteris Town a crucial win over a side 11 places above them in the Cambs League Premier Division.
The win keeps them in 16th place, five points behind Waterbeach, with three games of their season remaining.
Steve Bright said: “We always seem to play better against the best teams.
“It was a really good team performance and a valuable three points.
“They huffed and puffed but didn’t really create good chances.
“The win was no more than we deserved. In the past month we have been playing well and this result gives us a fighting chance of survival.”
- 1 Thousands descend on Chatteris as town lights up for Christmas
- 2 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 3 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 4 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 5 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 6 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 7 Princess Eugenie comes to town in bid to tackle modern slavery
- 8 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 9 Check before you travel ahead of major upgrade, commuters warned
- 10 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
The first goal came after Stuart Porter made a powerful run and whipped a dangerous ball into the box, which the Folbourn goalkeeper could not handle.
Matthers reacted quickest and pounced to put Chatteris ahead.
His second goal was more eye-catching, He cut across several defenders before curling a low effort past the keeper.
Saunders third will live long in the memory, a tremendous shot that nestled in the top corner.
Chatteris are next in action tomorrow away at Littleport Town.