Chatteris Town boss Unwin baffled by Reid’s omission from Kershaw League Reps squad
CHATTERIS Town boss Jimmy Unwin has revealed he’s gobsmacked that classy midfielder Steven Reid wasn’t picked for the Kershaw League Representative Squad.
Ben Collett, Aaron Collins, Jon Brierley and Tom Moden were selected in the 16-man squad for the side’s preliminary round FA National Inter-League Cup clash against a select Northamptonshire Combination League 11. Centre-half Stu Porter is on standby.
However, it was Reps boss Andrew Ross’ decision to leave Reid out of the squad which surprised Unwin the most.
Unwin said: “I’m proud of the lads who have been selected because they deserve it and it’s a big compliment to the club.
“The funny thing is though that the player many perceive as our best - Steven Reid - wasn’t picked. I don’t know why he wasn’t because he’s the best midfielder in the league by far.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s a massive mistake in my eyes and he’s actually been offended by not being chosen. It’s made my job easier though - in the last two games he’s absolutely ran the show to prove he should have been selected.”
Reid gave another virtuoso display during Chatteris’ 0-0 draw at third-placed Littleport Town on Saturday.
- 1 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 2 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
- 3 Residents escape kitchen fire after bank holiday blaze
- 4 Retrospective bid for travellers' site
- 5 Council road sweeper vehicle involved in collision with car
- 6 Videographer captures lifeboat hoist at town boatyard
- 7 12 exciting new businesses to discover when lockdown restrictions ease
- 8 Former homeless recreate ‘Lunch atop a Skyscraper’ photograph
- 9 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Ely
- 10 Alligator-owning farmer stars in new Ross Kemp ITV documentary
Unwin said: “I’d have taken a point before the game but I was disappointed at the end because we could have taken all three.
“Littleport are a well established side who have been together for a few years. It was a great team effort to get a point because we’ve only lost four league games this year after promotion which is quite an achievement in itself.”
The Lilies host table-topping and undefeated Lakenheath Town on Tuesday night.