Chatteris Town boss Unwin slams over-confident Lilies after draw at West Street
CHATTERIS Town boss Jimmy Unwin slammed his side’s over-confident approach after the Lilies slumped to a 1-1 draw against struggling Somersham Town on Saturday.
Unwin’s troops have been in imperious form in recent weeks, beating Kershaw Premier League table-toppers Fulbourn Institute and claiming a point against high-flying Lakenheath.
But a Steve Turnbull strike was not enough to see off a stubborn Somersham side in Saturday’s tussle at West Street.
Unwin, whose side are on a seven game unbeaten run, said: “It was a poor result. It’s the first time this season that I have had to question a few attitudes.
“After beating Fulbourn and drawing with Lakenheath I think a bit of over-confidence crept in. We didn’t show them enough respect.
“I said to the boys that I wish we could play the big teams every week because we seem to be able to raise our game against them.”
The point leaves the Lilies in fifth place with eight games still to play. They host bottom-of-the-table Hundon on Saturday.
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 3 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 4 Four charged with modern slavery crimes on one woman
- 5 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 6 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 7 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 8 Isabella, 10, impresses to win top prize ahead of Whittlesey Extravaganza
- 9 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 10 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
Unwin added: “We could still finish as runners-up or in third place and we are trying to get as high as we can.
“There’s still plenty of points to play for and we’ve got some tough games so we have to keep performing. We have got to prove that we could play Ridgeons League football.”
• Meanwhile, goals from Jake Batsiouzky and Aiden Hollis helped Chatteris U18s to a 2-0 win over Somersham U18s.