Chatteris Town boss Unwin slams over-confident Lilies after draw at West Street
CHATTERIS Town boss Jimmy Unwin slammed his side’s over-confident approach after the Lilies slumped to a 1-1 draw against struggling Somersham Town on Saturday.
Unwin’s troops have been in imperious form in recent weeks, beating Kershaw Premier League table-toppers Fulbourn Institute and claiming a point against high-flying Lakenheath.
But a Steve Turnbull strike was not enough to see off a stubborn Somersham side in Saturday’s tussle at West Street.
Unwin, whose side are on a seven game unbeaten run, said: “It was a poor result. It’s the first time this season that I have had to question a few attitudes.
“After beating Fulbourn and drawing with Lakenheath I think a bit of over-confidence crept in. We didn’t show them enough respect.
You may also want to watch:
“I said to the boys that I wish we could play the big teams every week because we seem to be able to raise our game against them.”
The point leaves the Lilies in fifth place with eight games still to play. They host bottom-of-the-table Hundon on Saturday.
- 1 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 2 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 3 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 4 March Town mark long-awaited step five return with opening day defeat
- 5 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 6 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 7 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 8 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 9 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 10 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
Unwin added: “We could still finish as runners-up or in third place and we are trying to get as high as we can.
“There’s still plenty of points to play for and we’ve got some tough games so we have to keep performing. We have got to prove that we could play Ridgeons League football.”
• Meanwhile, goals from Jake Batsiouzky and Aiden Hollis helped Chatteris U18s to a 2-0 win over Somersham U18s.