LOCAL FOOTBALL: Chatteris Town claim impressive non-league scalp in first pre-season victory
- Credit: Archant
Chatteris Town earned their first pre-season win after an impressive display against some illustrious opponents.
The Lilies ran out 3-2 winners against Histon on Wednesday evening, who won promotion to step four having secured the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division title last term, in front of a packed crowd at West Street.
Gary Smith opened the scoring in a tight first-half, before being pegged back shortly afterwards.
The visitors then gained the initiative soon after the interval, before Smith pounced again with a well-taken finish from close-range to make it a personal brace.
It was left to Town favourite Jack Saunders to seal victory from the penalty spot minutes before the end after new signing Alex Knowles was felled.
You may also want to watch:
Under the stewardship of Alex Kaufman and Ash Taylor, Chatteris had lost their opening friendlies to higher-league Newmarket Town and Downham Town respectively.
Chatteris continue preparations for their return to the Kershaw Premier Division when they host March Town Reserves for the annual Bill Salisbury Memorial Cup this Tuesday as the Hares' first-team play on the same day.
- 1 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 2 Students dare to dream of England Lionesses spot after trial success
- 3 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 5 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 6 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
- 7 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 8 Live updates as cyclist is ‘hit by lorry’ near March secondary school
- 9 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 10 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
REMAINING PRE-SEASON FIXTURES
March Town Reserves (H) - Tuesday, July 23 (7.30pm).
Ely City (A) - Friday, July 26 (7.45pm).
Chatteris Town Reserves (H) - Friday, August 2 (7.30pm).