LOCAL FOOTBALL: Chatteris Town claim impressive non-league scalp in first pre-season victory
- Credit: Archant
Chatteris Town earned their first pre-season win after an impressive display against some illustrious opponents.
The Lilies ran out 3-2 winners against Histon on Wednesday evening, who won promotion to step four having secured the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division title last term, in front of a packed crowd at West Street.
Gary Smith opened the scoring in a tight first-half, before being pegged back shortly afterwards.
The visitors then gained the initiative soon after the interval, before Smith pounced again with a well-taken finish from close-range to make it a personal brace.
It was left to Town favourite Jack Saunders to seal victory from the penalty spot minutes before the end after new signing Alex Knowles was felled.
You may also want to watch:
Under the stewardship of Alex Kaufman and Ash Taylor, Chatteris had lost their opening friendlies to higher-league Newmarket Town and Downham Town respectively.
Chatteris continue preparations for their return to the Kershaw Premier Division when they host March Town Reserves for the annual Bill Salisbury Memorial Cup this Tuesday as the Hares' first-team play on the same day.
- 1 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 2 Neighbours want council to call time on off-licence
- 3 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend
- 4 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 5 Fishing park owners await green light to open third lake
- 6 Nitrous oxide canisters no laughing matter say Fenland police
- 7 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 8 Ever get that sinking feeling?
- 9 Driver bids to drift towards fruitful career with national success
- 10 'Sorry for any delay' but we're getting there says vaccine rollout manager
REMAINING PRE-SEASON FIXTURES
March Town Reserves (H) - Tuesday, July 23 (7.30pm).
Ely City (A) - Friday, July 26 (7.45pm).
Chatteris Town Reserves (H) - Friday, August 2 (7.30pm).