Chatteris Town Reserves 4-2 March Town Reserves: Lilies progress into North Cambs Junior Cup final thanks to thrilling extra-time success
- Credit: Archant
Chatteris Town Reserves claimed their place in the final of the North Cambs Junior Cup - and the local bragging rights - thanks to an enthralling 4-2 victory over March Town Reserves last weekend.
Benji Brittin’s boys notched twice in extra time to book their place in the final of the competition, but it wasn’t all plain sailing for the Lilies, who were forced to come from behind to force an extra 30 minutes at West Street.
The Fenland and Cambs Division 1B rivals went into the tie five places apart, but it was the side lower down in the standings - Chatteris - who made the perfect start thanks to Jermaine Watson’s strike just two minutes in.
An Adam Conyard double either side of half time put the Hares in the ascendancy, but the teams were forced into extra-time after Dean Saunders’ lofted cross sailed into the net just after the hour.
James Harness smashed in a penalty to give the Lilies a slender lead after 104 minutes, before veteran Tony Brown chipped in an excellent fourth to conclude 120 minutes of frenetic action and to seal Chatteris’ passage into the final - the club’s fifth in just two years.
You may also want to watch:
Boss Brittin told the club’s website: “I’m ecstatic for the boys. They put the effort and work in and it was a case that they wanted it the most.
“I’ve never seen the lads so keen for a game. The heart and desire proved dividends and they got what they deserved.
- 1 Jail for paedophile who booked hotel to abuse three children
- 2 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 3 Villagers team up to honour 'a real character'
- 4 Hunt is on to find stags that escaped from farm
- 5 Bomb scare was a 'hoax' say police
- 6 It's a family affair as planners consider five luxury homes
- 7 Police warn you may run but you can't hide from us
- 8 100mph, 20-minute police pursuit ends with a crash – and later with jail
- 9 'Marvellous' Lilian celebrates 103rd birthday
- 10 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
“Credit to March - they battled, but a goal either way in extra-time would have done the business.”
Chatteris will take on fellow Fenland rivals Whittlesey Athletic Reserves in the final on April 5.