Chatteris Town trio reject higher-level moves as Lilies prepare for Kershaw Premier Division bow
- Credit: Archant
Chatteris Town boss Ash Taylor has received a major summer boost after three key players snubbed the advances of higher-level clubs.
Craig Gillies, Ben Matthews and Aidan Hollis have all rejected offers from elsewhere to remain at West Street as the Lilies prepare for Kershaw Premier Division football in the Cambs League.
In fact Taylor has retained all except two members of the squad which enjoyed a stunning 2015/16 campaign with included three cup triumphs as well as promotion.
The only men to depart are Carl Powell, who is planning to play closer to his Stansted base, and Anton Kaval, who is taking a break from the game.
Taylor said: “It is great that almost the entire squad have committed themselves to the club for another season – even though some of them had offers from higher levels.
You may also want to watch:
“The fact players are prepared to turn down the opportunity to receive money to play shows that Chatteris is a good club to be at right now.
“We’ve not signed any hew players as yet, but there have been a few new faces at training and we are hopeful we may be able to announce one or two soon.”
- 1 161-mile trip from Yorkshire to Fen village ends in Covid breach fine
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 4 All staff and residents at Chatteris care home now vaccinated against Covid
- 5 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response
- 6 Stolen American-style fridge was lifted over 10ft security fence
- 7 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs already this year
- 8 MP wants an end to floods misery in the Fens
- 9 Green light for off-licence despite objections
- 10 Dad has 'much more energy to run around' with son after losing four stone
Chatteris have their first friendly outing tomorrow night (Friday) when they entertain higher-level Ely City at West Street, 7.45pm.