Chatteris Town trio reject higher-level moves as Lilies prepare for Kershaw Premier Division bow
- Credit: Archant
Chatteris Town boss Ash Taylor has received a major summer boost after three key players snubbed the advances of higher-level clubs.
Craig Gillies, Ben Matthews and Aidan Hollis have all rejected offers from elsewhere to remain at West Street as the Lilies prepare for Kershaw Premier Division football in the Cambs League.
In fact Taylor has retained all except two members of the squad which enjoyed a stunning 2015/16 campaign with included three cup triumphs as well as promotion.
The only men to depart are Carl Powell, who is planning to play closer to his Stansted base, and Anton Kaval, who is taking a break from the game.
Taylor said: “It is great that almost the entire squad have committed themselves to the club for another season – even though some of them had offers from higher levels.
“The fact players are prepared to turn down the opportunity to receive money to play shows that Chatteris is a good club to be at right now.
“We’ve not signed any hew players as yet, but there have been a few new faces at training and we are hopeful we may be able to announce one or two soon.”
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 3 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 4 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 5 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 6 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 7 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 8 Rachael takes bronze at national hairdressing competition
- 9 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 10 Church gets set for annual Christmas tree festival
Chatteris have their first friendly outing tomorrow night (Friday) when they entertain higher-level Ely City at West Street, 7.45pm.