Clubs battle it out in annual youth tournament
MORE than 80 teams took part in the annual Three Holes and Upwell youth football tournament at Upwell playing field at the weekend. The two-day five and six-a-side competition was eagerly contested by boys and girls teams in age groups from under-sevens t
MORE than 80 teams took part in the annual Three Holes and Upwell youth football tournament at Upwell playing field at the weekend.
The two-day five and six-a-side competition was eagerly contested by boys and girls teams in age groups from under-sevens to under-15s.
The under-sevens boys' competition was won by Hungate Yellows after an exciting 3-2 victory against Wisbech St Mary A.
There was something to cheer for Wisbech St Mary in the under-eight final however, when the Purples won in the final with a 1-0 victory over March A.
You may also want to watch:
Parson Drove were narrowly beaten 1-0 by Dersingham in the final of the under-nines competition on Sunday while the under-10s final also came down to a nail-biting finale, but Downham Market eventually beat Wisbech St Mary Purples in a sudden death penalty shoot-out.
The Saints were however victorious in the under-11 final when they beat Hungate Rovers and Woottons A beat their B team 1-0 in the final of the under-13 competition.
- 1 New offering can help 'encourage more participation in angling'
- 2 Businesses across the Fens reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 3 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 4 ‘The Duke of Edinburgh’s security team wouldn’t let him ride our tandem...’
- 5 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 6 Council to report 'accumulations of tributes' to police
- 7 March Town mark long-awaited return with victory in double-header
- 8 More anti-Semitic graffiti appears in Ely
- 9 Council road sweeper vehicle involved in collision with car
- 10 Retrospective bid for travellers' site
Hungate Greens took the honours in the under-14 final on Saturday thanks to a 1-0 win over Downham Market B.
Sunday's under-15 final was contested by East Lynn Blues' A and B teams and it was the A side who eventually won 4-0.
Hungate Rovers Yellows under-15 girls came back from 1-0 down to beat Clenchwarton in their final.
Saturday, June 16 and Sunday, June 17 have been set as provisional dates for next year's tournament.