Coach heaps praise on Wisbech Under-15s after heroic cup run ends in semi-final
PROUD coach Dom Stannard heaped praise on Wisbech Town Under-15s after their valiant Natwest Cup run ended in semi-final defeat.
The youngsters beat Wilburton, Burwell and Hardwick to reach the last four of the regional competition before Cambridge St Giles denied them an appearance in the final.
Craig Pack (30), Brodie Ellis (22) and Patrick Webb (28 not out) helped Wisbech post an impressive 128-4 off their 20 overs.
Tight bowling from Pack and Josh Warmington put Wisbech in a strong position, with the Cambridge side needing 18 to win off the final two overs.
But an expensive penultimate over helped them reach their target and end a memorable Wisbech cup run.
You may also want to watch:
Stannard said: “I would like to congratulate them on an excellent cup run, in which they have played some great cricket.
“I am especially proud of the effort of the team against an excellent Burwell side, and the depleted team who beat Wilburton in the first round.”
- 1 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 2 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
- 3 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
- 4 Coronavirus test centre staff ‘receive abuse’ from angry motorists
- 5 Council offers reserved parking for elderly heading for Covid jab
- 6 Slimmer's life-changing weight loss story
- 7 Tributes to 'loving, kind family man' and community stalwart
- 8 Minor injury unit closes to allow staff to respond to crisis in the community
- 9 Man, 39, convicted of assault on two HMRC officers by beating
- 10 Man attempts to smuggle MDMA tablets disguised as Mars Bar into jail
The squad thanked sponsors Anglian Home Improvements, who provided them with new kit.