College secures tight final triumph
NEALE-WADE Community College now have two cup-winning sides after their under-18 team won the Cambs County Cup at the GER on Wednesday afternoon. Last year, Neale-Wade lost in the semi-finals of the competition but they were finally able to lift the count
NEALE-WADE Community College now have two cup-winning sides after their under-18 team won the Cambs County Cup at the GER on Wednesday afternoon.
Last year, Neale-Wade lost in the semi-finals of the competition but they were finally able to lift the county cup after Rob Spendelow's goal earned the March team a 1-0 victory over St Ives Community College.
The success is Neale-Wade's second at county level this season and the under-18s' trophy will now stand alongside that won by the under-16 squad.
The final remained in the balance throughout but Neale-Wade forced the better chances.
You may also want to watch:
The March team had an early penalty shout turned down when Aaron Bailey was tripped in the box but the decisive goal came seven minutes before the break.
Good play in midfield released Rob Spendelow who tucked the ball away to open the scoring.
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 3 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 4 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 6 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 7 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 8 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 9 Live updates as cyclist is ‘hit by lorry’ near March secondary school
The second half was a story of missed chances for Neale-Wade but they held on to win the match and the cup.
Team manager Dave Kenning said: "I thought that those missed chances would come back to haunt us but thankfully, that wasn't the case.
"I can't remember the last time we won this cup so I am absolutely delighted. I would like to thank March Town United for their support and the use of the GER pitch for the match."
Neale-Wade squad: Ben Collett, Jamie Stimpson, Ben Lemmon, Stuart Porter, Rob Menarry, Scott Welcher, Dean Russell, Lewis Hilliard, Elliot Welland, Aaron Bailey, Rob Spendelow, Sam Murphy, Josh Westley, Danny Waite, Daniel Bryant, James Mortlock