BOXING: Chatteris star Jordan Gill sets sights on more title glory in Peterborough showdown
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Jordan Gill has set his sights on a happy homecoming – as he bids for more title glory in his first outing of 2019.
The unbeaten Chatteris star returns to the ring on Saturday, March 2 when headlining a Matchroom Boxing show in Peterborough.
And Gill, who captured the Commonwealth featherweight crown in his last outing when stopping Ryan Doyle in October, is looking to add another piece of silverware to his collection.
Gill takes on Mexican warrior Emmanuel Dominguez for the WBA International title in a clash that will be screened live by Sky Sports.
Gill said: “I’m so excited to have the opportunity to box so close to home – and I want to make it a night to remember.
You may also want to watch:
“I really hope that after winning the Commonwealth title in my last fight that everyone will come out and support me.
“It’s great to have the opportunity to bring championship boxing to the Cambridgeshire area and it is something I would love to be able to do regularly.
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 Family remembers 'cheeky, friendly and well-liked' mechanic
- 3 Body found in Wisbech road
- 4 Diamond celebrations for former mayor and council chairman
- 5 Chatteris firm with £20m growth plan
- 6 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 7 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 8 Crash driver four and a half times over drink drive limit
- 9 Survey finds staggering 97 cent support for new Aldi store
- 10 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens
“My fans have travelled so far during my career and given me unbelievable support, so to be able to deliver a big fight on the doorstep is amazing. It feels like a homecoming for me.
“It’s a big international title fight with a belt on the line – and they are exactly the sort of fights I want to be involved in this year.
“It is all about pushing on to the world stage now and this is the next step in that direction.
“I’ve not seen anything of Dominguez yet, but Mexicans are renowned for being tough fighters and I’m sure he won’t be any different.”
Gill has won all 22 fights during a professional career which has gathered pace since a switch to trainer Dave Coldwell.
Dominguez is a 25 year-old who has won 24 of his 33 professional outings. He has only been stopped once.
Tickets for the Peterborough show are priced at £40, £60 and £100. They can be bought by contacting Gill on 07415 618602 or by visiting his website www.jordangill.com