CRICKET: Bricker bashes 92 as March Town finally find a win
- Credit: Archant
Aussie Clinton Bricker made an unbeaten 92 on a flat deck at The Avenue on Saturday as March Town broke their duck in the Whitings League Division One with a tight seven run victory against mid-table Warseley.
The bottom club survived a nerve-jangling finale to the match as the visitors got within a run a ball in the final five overs, chasing their 242 target.
Acting-skipper Andy Wright (4-36) eased the pressure when he bowled Warseley danger man Alex Scully for 72 with under four overs remaining, as the visitors closed on 234-9, having required nine runs from Tommy Howgego’s final over.
Howgego, making his first appearance of the season, scored 26 at the top of the order, sharing in a first wicket stand of 62 with James Hilliard (31).
But it was Nathan Oliver’s knock of 34 that gave the innings the momentum required in a seventh wicket partnership of 73 from the 241-6 total.
You may also want to watch:
March travel to Godmanchester on Saturday (12.30pm).
Steve Hinson and Adam Conyard shared in a match-winning opening stand of 165 runs as March 2nds sealed a three wicket win at Godolphine in CCA Senior League Division Two.
- 1 161-mile trip from Yorkshire to Fen village ends in Covid breach fine
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 4 All staff and residents at Chatteris care home now vaccinated against Covid
- 5 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs already this year
- 6 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response
- 7 Green light for off-licence despite objections
- 8 MP wants an end to floods misery in the Fens
- 9 Stolen American-style fridge was lifted over 10ft security fence
- 10 'Eccentric traveller' spotted riding vintage bicycle ahead of historic trip
Having scored just two runs between them the previous Saturday, Hinson scorched to 101 and Conyard hit 78 as they chased down the home side’s 248-9.
Adam Westwood bolstered March 3rd’s ranks and gave a solid all-round performance that helped them overcome City of Ely 2nds by seven wickets in CCA Junior League Division Three North.
Having bowled well, Westwood finished top-scorer with 38 from the 117-3 chase after tea.
March’s Sunday side remain at the top of the Rutland League Division two thanks to a six wicket win away to Castor.
Clinton Bricker and Shaz Akhter were the chief destroyers during the home side’s 148-8, with Bricker taking 4-17 and Akhter 3-33 on what proved to be a difficult wicket to bat on.
So it proved after tea when Ben Chapman (48) and Steve Coe (38) figured in a measured opening stand of 105, before vice-captain Brandon Phillips came in to smash 25 not out off 14 balls for victory.