CRICKET: Disappointment and drama as March Town are pipped by final Godmanchester Town pair
- Credit: Archant
March suffered an agonising Cambs & Hunts Premier League loss in a low-scoring thriller last Saturday.
Tyler Phillips’ side snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in a one-wicket setback against Godmanchester at The Avenue.
March appeared to have little hope of salvaging the Whiting & Partners Division One contest when being dismissed for just 104, but their bowlers had other ideas.
Spinners Shardul Brahmbhatt (5-37) and Saranga Rajaguru (2-22) ripped through the Godmanchester batting line-up to reduce them to 70-9.
But, with March seemingly on the brink of an unlikely victory, a final-wicket stand of 35 from visiting duo Wayne Bradley and Alex Green earned Godmanchester success.
It means March are still waiting for a first success of the campaign, something they can rectify with two games in three days over the Bank Holiday weekend.
They host Foxton on Saturday and then go to promoted side Kimbolton, who are also yet to win this season, on Bank Holiday Monday.
- 1 Crews tackle blaze in Wisbech
- 2 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 3 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 4 Man charged with attempted murder as stab victim is found
- 5 Man assaulted woman and verbally abused hotel staff
- 6 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 7 Domestic abuser tried to strangle and suffocate mother of his child
- 8 Man charged following Peterborough murder
- 9 Clarion Housing ‘cyber incident’ affects thousands of tenants
- 10 Man dies after van and lorry crash on A141
The club’s Sunday first team are having no trouble in picking up results.
They thrashed Isham by 206 runs in a top-versus-bottom clash in Rutland League Division Two last weekend.
Brandon Phillips hit an unbeaten 76 and Ben Chapman contributed 74 as the locals piled up 304-5 at The Avenue before skittling their visitors for just 98. Steve Coe (3-19) led a smart bowling performance.
March are without a fixture this Sunday.