CRICKET: March Town fall agonisingly short in 600-run thriller
- Credit: Archant
There were fireworks at The Avenue on Saturday as March Town figured in a 600-run thriller, narrowly losing out to Godmanchester by 12 runs in Whitings & Partners Division One.
And but for two phenomenal one-handed catches, March would probably have produced one of the most spectacular run chases in their history.
The visitors smashed 100 runs off just 62 balls at the death to finish on 306-7, losing two wickets in their final over. Sam Clarke picked up another two scalps, as did Chris Ringham.
When Clinton Bricker was out for 18 inside six overs March had already scored 51. Brandon Phillips then got going but fell victim to one of the superb catches on the boundary, having scorched to 60 off 47 balls.
The second catch split a sixth wicket stand of 94 and sent Spencer Saberton back to the pavilion for 54, leaving acting skipper Andy Wright (32) and Stuart Mills (18no) to push March to 294 before the loss of three wickets in the penultimate over.
You may also want to watch:
March host Ramsey on Saturday.
- 1 BBC drama Casualty storyline to feature pelvic mesh implant scandal
- 2 Long-serving work couple leaving Fens for Nigeria to build care home
- 3 Woman threatened for not wearing mask describes fear for safety
- 4 Aldi invites the public to share their views on new Whittlesey store
- 5 Cheers to that! Businesses reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 6 Burglar's DNA linked to break in at Ramsey Royal British Legion Club
- 7 Primary school joins laureate's £100m-a-year bid to boost libraries
- 8 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 9 Council removes anti-Semitic graffiti in Ely
- 10 ‘Numerous’ number plate thefts reported to police across region