CRICKET: March Town fall agonisingly short in 600-run thriller
- Credit: Archant
There were fireworks at The Avenue on Saturday as March Town figured in a 600-run thriller, narrowly losing out to Godmanchester by 12 runs in Whitings & Partners Division One.
And but for two phenomenal one-handed catches, March would probably have produced one of the most spectacular run chases in their history.
The visitors smashed 100 runs off just 62 balls at the death to finish on 306-7, losing two wickets in their final over. Sam Clarke picked up another two scalps, as did Chris Ringham.
When Clinton Bricker was out for 18 inside six overs March had already scored 51. Brandon Phillips then got going but fell victim to one of the superb catches on the boundary, having scorched to 60 off 47 balls.
The second catch split a sixth wicket stand of 94 and sent Spencer Saberton back to the pavilion for 54, leaving acting skipper Andy Wright (32) and Stuart Mills (18no) to push March to 294 before the loss of three wickets in the penultimate over.
You may also want to watch:
March host Ramsey on Saturday.
- 1 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 2 'Physically and mentally exhausted" Matt in plea to find missing beagle
- 3 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 4 Sandbags available ahead as Storm Christoph arrives
- 5 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 6 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 7 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 8 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 9 Fishing park owners await green light to open third lake
- 10 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land