Cricket: March Town seal promotion despite rain taking its toll on top-of-the-table clash with St Ives Town
- Credit: Archant
March Town sealed an instant return to the Tucker Gardner Division One on Saturday – despite their top-of-the-table clash with St Ives falling victim to the weather.
The rain failed to put a dampener on March’s promotion party as they secured an invaluable 15-point haul in St Ives which fires them to within one point of the league toppers.
Tommy Howgego weaved magic with the ball as the fifth bowler employed, returning his best figures of the season - 4-14 off just six overs - as the home side were dismissed for 124.
Andy Wright had earlier helped reduce St Ives to 49-5 with a 3-24 spell of his own.
March bagged a full 10 points for bowling their opponents out and then were given a further five points as the match was rained off after just 1.3 overs of their innings.
You may also want to watch:
Next Saturday will decide whether the league title heads on Fenland or to Huntingdonshire.
March visit relegation threatened Fordham, who beat them earlier in the season, while St Ives host near neighbours Warboys.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 2 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 3 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
- 4 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 5 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 6 Steve Count 'no doubt' Tories will review 'our performance' as his future is decided
- 7 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 8 Prison sentence for man who brutally attacked his partner
- 9 Tory jubilation short-lived in Fenland as they lose control of county council
- 10 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met