Cricket round-up: Chatteris lose cup final while table-topping March slip up
PUBLISHED: 08:58 24 August 2011
CHATTERIS II missed out in their quest for a third CCA Junior Cup as they lost to Sawston II by seven wickets in Sunday’s final.
Chatteris - helped by Kurt Cunningham (59) and Matt Hollis (33) - posted 174-9 but Sawston eased to 175-3 in reply to win. Andy Wool (2-35) was Chatteris’ best bowler.
• TABLE-TOPPING March slipped to an agonising 10-run defeat at Nassington on Saturday - their first Tucker Gardner Premier Division loss in three months.
Carl Chapman (4-8) helped restrict Nassington to 167 all out. However, March capitulated from 120-3 to 157 all out with only Matt Wilcox (56) posting a decent score.
March bounced back on Sunday by beating Market Deeping by 15 runs.
Josh Jackman (71) and Tyler Phillips (34) helped March to 140 all out. Tommy Howgego (4-18), Callum Young (3-15) and Jackman (2-2) bowled superbly to clinch March’s victory.
• OPENER James Harradine smashed 76 as March II beat St Giles by 48 runs.
Harradine and Richard Green (23) helped March to 161-8 before Callum Young (4-25) and two wickets a piece from Richard Green and Andy Wright helped bowl St Giles for 113 all out.
• CHATTERIS II beat March III by 23 runs.
Kevin Felton (44) and Josh Grant (36) top-scored as Chatteris posted 142 all out despite the best efforts of March off-spinner Stuart Fox (6-36).
March made a disastrous start in reply - slumping to 32-6 - with only Jordan Morgan (29) and Nathan Oliver (30) offering any resistance.
Josh Grant (2-5) and Paul Foster (2-28) were the pick of Chatteris’ bowlers.
• VETERAN opener Dennis Furnell hit an unbeaten 71 as March IV clinched the Cambs Junior Division 5A title.
James Shephered (3-26) took March’s best figures in their comfortable seven-wicket win over Elsworth II. He also hit 29 as March breezed to 156-3 in reply.
• DAVID Haslegrave (66) and Stephen Wallis (59) blasted March II to 185-5 as they beat Wisbech III by 23 runs in Sunday’s Fenland Trophy.
Toby Nulty and Jacob Gray shared five wickets as Wisbech made 162 all out in reply.
• Chatteris III won by default after Isleham II couldn’t field a side.
• Visit the website on Friday to read about Chatteris securing promotion on Saturday.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Cambs Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.