Cricket round-up: Cunningham hits third ton as Chatteris and March enjoy triumphant weekend
FENLAND’S cricket teams enjoyed a spectacular weekend of success with all of Chatteris and March’s sides storming to victory.
All three Chatteris sides won on Saturday, with Kurt Cunningham scoring his third consecutive unbeaten century for the table-topping first team.
The opener smashed 116 not out to take his league runs total for the season to an incredible 482. His brother, Connor Cunningham, hit 69 off just 48 balls in his senior debut for Chatteris after playing for March as a junior.
Pete Munns’ quickfire 53 helped Chatteris post 290-5 before Dullingham struggled to 183-9 with the impressive Dom Platt taking 5-49 and Mark Leach finishing with 4-50.
• SEAMER Paul Foster took wickets with his first and last balls - recording figures of 6-26 - to help Chatteris II to a 32-run victory.
You may also want to watch:
Foster and Jim Surtees (4-15) blew away Sutton for just 87 after Ben Perry (38) had earlier helped Chatteris post 119.
The third team won their second game of the season, beating Somersham by 81 runs.
- 1 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 2 Residents escape kitchen fire after bank holiday blaze
- 3 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
- 4 Retrospective bid for travellers' site
- 5 Council road sweeper vehicle involved in collision with car
- 6 Videographer captures lifeboat hoist at town boatyard
- 7 Former homeless recreate ‘Lunch atop a Skyscraper’ photograph
- 8 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Ely
- 9 Cash machine grabbed in East Cambs ram raid
- 10 12 exciting new businesses to discover when lockdown restrictions ease
Adam Elliot (72) top-scored as Chatteris set a commanding 294-9 before Luke Matthews (3-27) helped bowl the visitors out for 213 in reply.
• ROB Moden’s brutal 92 helped March II make it four wins from five in CCA Senior Division One.
The opener put on 123 for the first wicket with David Haslegrave (44) to set up a three-wicket victory against Kimbolton. Stuart Mills (5-61) had earlier helped dismiss the home side for 203.
• TEENAGERS Toby Nulty and Brett Tinnion came to the rescue of March III as they claimed an exciting three-wicket win over Soham on Saturday.
The thirds had looked in deep trouble at 95-6 but Nulty (31) and Tinnion (30 not out) helped them reach the target of 172 with four overs remaining. Matt Hubbard had earlier taken 2-30 for March.
• STUART Mills’ all-round heroics powered March out of the Rutland League Division One with a 63-run win over Uppingham on Sunday.
Batting at number nine, the vice-captain hit 58 to lift March to 206-9. He then returned his second five-wicket haul of the weekend, taking 5-39 to seal a much-needed win.
The seconds sealed a stunning weekend on Sunday, beating rivals Wisbech III by 35 runs in the Fenland Trophy at Harecroft Road.
Andy Bryan (57) was well supported by skipper Stephen Wallis (39 not out) and Andy Wright (34) as March posted 183-5.
Three wickets from leg-spinner Nathan Oliver and two wickets each from Toby Nulty and Rob Moden saw the home side dismissed for 148.
• March’s first team were again inspired by their Aussie star Matt Wilcox on Saturday. For more, see Friday’s Cambs Times.