Cricket round-up: March crush Granta while win puts Chatteris on brink of promotion
MARCH are five games away from Tucker Gardner Premier Division glory after the league leaders thumped basement boys Cambridge Granta II on Saturday.
Captain Chris Ringham and Australian star Matt Wilcox - the two standout players in a memorable season - helped March to a seven-wicket win, leaving them 23 points clear at the top.
Ringham (4-21) and Tommy Howgego (3-16) ripped through Granta’s sorry batting line-up to dismiss them for 129 at The Avenue. Wilcox hammered 82 not out off 66 balls as March raced to their 11th win in their last 12 league games.
• MARCH II kept themselves in the Cambs Senior Division 1 title race with a last-gasp victory over Histon on Saturday.
Josh Jackman (49) top-scored for second-in-the-table March but it was a calm knock from Richard Green (37 not out) which saw them home with just one ball to spare.
You may also want to watch:
Histon had earlier posted 208-4 off their 45 overs with one wicket apiece for Jackman, Green, Callum Young and Stuart Arnold.
• A CAREER best 82 from James Beresford helped March III haul themselves off the bottom of Cambs Junior Division 2A with a shock seven-wicket win over Sutton.
- 1 161-mile trip from Yorkshire to Fen village ends in Covid breach fine
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 4 All staff and residents at Chatteris care home now vaccinated against Covid
- 5 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response
- 6 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs already this year
- 7 MP wants an end to floods misery in the Fens
- 8 Green light for off-licence despite objections
- 9 Stolen American-style fridge was lifted over 10ft security fence
- 10 'Eccentric traveller' spotted riding vintage bicycle ahead of historic trip
Beresford was dropped six times during his knock - but he took full advantage, bludgeoning five sixes to power March to a winning total of 152-3.
Earlier, Manuj Patel, Neil Alger and skipper Matt Hubbard had taken three wickets each to restrict title-chasing Sutton to 148-9.
March IV had their fourth consecutive game called off in Cambs Junior Division 5A after Sutton II were unable to raise a team.
• MARCH’S run of six consecutive wins in Rutland Division 1 came to an end with a nail-biting final-over defeat to Finedon on Sunday.
Matt Wilcox (85), James Hilliard (30) and David Hodson (26) helped March post 206 but, despite an impressive spell from Tyler Phillips (4-43), Finedon got home with three wickets and one ball to spare.
• MARCH II cruised into second place in the Fenland Trophy with a nine-wicket drubbing of Witcham on Sunday.
Toby Nulty (3-18) and Matt Hubbard (4-28) helped skittle Witcham for 93, with youngsters Sam Mason (2-16) and Jacob Gray (1-27) also in the wickets.
James Beresford (44 not out) and David Haslegrave (38 not out) eased March home.
• CHATTERIS need just one more win to secure promotion from Cambs Senior Division 3 after cruising to a six-wicket victory against Dullingham.
Spinner Dom Platt (4-48) helped dismiss Dullingham for 141 before Kurt Cunningham (41) and Alex Platt (65 not out) made short work of the target.
• CHATTERIS II dropped into the Cambs Junior Division 2A relegation zone after a disappointing nine-wicket loss to Wisbech.
But matters improved for Chatteris on Sunday as a captain’s knock of 54 from Max Kelly helped them to a 46-run win over Wimblington in the Ernie Wool Cup.