Cricket round-up: March draw with league champions while Wisbech crash to third defeat
MARCH Town’s powerful all-rounders starred with bat and ball as the title hopefuls came within seven runs of beating league champions Camden on Saturday.
Shardul Brahmbhatt, Jivan Lotay and Australian star Matt Wilcox all excelled as March claimed an impressive draw at The Avenue.
Spin duo Brahmbatt (5-75) and Lotay (2-59) helped restrict Camden to 260 all out with Wilcox (3-32) claiming crucial wickets.
Wilcox (59), Brahmbhatt (59) and Lotay (70 not out) batted sensibly to push March towards their target, leaving them with 12 required off the final over.
But the home side failed to complete what would have been a remarkable victory, closing their innings on 254-7 and settling for a well-earned 12 points. March travel to Sawston tomorrow.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, Wisbech’s miserable start to the season continued as last year’s runners-up crashed to their third consecutive league defeat.
Spinner Craig Johnson took 7-49 to restrict Khalsa to 168 all out on Saturday but a flurry of late wickets saw them fall three runs short in reply.
- 1 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 2 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 3 Cambridgeshire police officer dismissed after conduct hearing
- 4 Trades group hears of alarming rise in shop worker abuse amid Covid
- 5 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’
- 6 BBC drama Casualty storyline to feature pelvic mesh implant scandal
- 7 Rural crime police recover dog in ‘poor state’ while on site check
- 8 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 9 Mum caught driving with revoked license on school run gets car seized
- 10 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
Things got even worse for Wisbech on Monday, when they lost to Sawston by a single wicket after collapsing to 116 all out.
• JAMES Harradine came agonisingly close to his maiden club century as March II beat Sawston II on Saturday.
Harradine scored 99 as March posted 229-6 from their 40 overs before Stuart Arnold (6-19) ripped through Sawston’s batting as they crumbled to 121 all out.
There was also a win for March III, as Dan Martell (65 not out) and Ben Pyle (52 not out) helped them beat Wimblington by six wickets.
March crashed to a 74-run defeat at Peterborough Town in Rutland League Division One on Sunday. Tyler Phillips (2-51) bowled well and there were more runs for Wilcox (32).
A defiant last-wicket stand saw Ufford Park beat Wisbech by one wicket in Rutland League Division Two on Sunday. Standout performer Gary Freear hit 62 for Wisbech before starring with the ball by taking 4-56.
Lawrence Twell’s knock of 60 could not stop Wisbech II falling to a five-wicket defeat against Werrington in Rutland League Division Five.