Cricket round-up: March draw with league champions while Wisbech crash to third defeat
MARCH Town’s powerful all-rounders starred with bat and ball as the title hopefuls came within seven runs of beating league champions Camden on Saturday.
Shardul Brahmbhatt, Jivan Lotay and Australian star Matt Wilcox all excelled as March claimed an impressive draw at The Avenue.
Spin duo Brahmbatt (5-75) and Lotay (2-59) helped restrict Camden to 260 all out with Wilcox (3-32) claiming crucial wickets.
Wilcox (59), Brahmbhatt (59) and Lotay (70 not out) batted sensibly to push March towards their target, leaving them with 12 required off the final over.
But the home side failed to complete what would have been a remarkable victory, closing their innings on 254-7 and settling for a well-earned 12 points. March travel to Sawston tomorrow.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, Wisbech’s miserable start to the season continued as last year’s runners-up crashed to their third consecutive league defeat.
Spinner Craig Johnson took 7-49 to restrict Khalsa to 168 all out on Saturday but a flurry of late wickets saw them fall three runs short in reply.
- 1 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 2 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 3 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 4 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 5 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 6 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 7 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 8 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 9 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 10 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
Things got even worse for Wisbech on Monday, when they lost to Sawston by a single wicket after collapsing to 116 all out.
• JAMES Harradine came agonisingly close to his maiden club century as March II beat Sawston II on Saturday.
Harradine scored 99 as March posted 229-6 from their 40 overs before Stuart Arnold (6-19) ripped through Sawston’s batting as they crumbled to 121 all out.
There was also a win for March III, as Dan Martell (65 not out) and Ben Pyle (52 not out) helped them beat Wimblington by six wickets.
March crashed to a 74-run defeat at Peterborough Town in Rutland League Division One on Sunday. Tyler Phillips (2-51) bowled well and there were more runs for Wilcox (32).
A defiant last-wicket stand saw Ufford Park beat Wisbech by one wicket in Rutland League Division Two on Sunday. Standout performer Gary Freear hit 62 for Wisbech before starring with the ball by taking 4-56.
Lawrence Twell’s knock of 60 could not stop Wisbech II falling to a five-wicket defeat against Werrington in Rutland League Division Five.