Cricket round-up: March’s title hopes crushed after fourth consecutive defeat
MARCH’S faint hopes of winning the Tucker Gardner Premier Division title were crushed on Saturday after a four-wicket thumping against St Ives.
Needing a win to stay in the title hunt, March got off to an abismal start, losing Australian star Matt Wilcox and number three Carl Chapman - for a golden duck - in the first over.
The home side were quickly reduced to 8-3 and they never really recovered. James Hilliard top-scored with 31 as they limped to 131 all out.
St Ives cruised to their target despite a late rally from Chris Ringham (2-45) and Josh Jackman (2-19).
• THE first team put in a much-improved performance on Sunday to finish their Rutland League Division 1 campaign with a three-wicket victory over Barnack.
Stand-in skipper Stuart Mills (3-25) and off-spinner Richard Green (4-20) helped March dismiss the visitors for 183.
Tyler Phillips (48 not out) finished two runs short of his maiden March half-century as they sealed the win off the second ball of the final over.
- 1 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 2 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 3 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 4 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 5 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 6 Isabella, 10, impresses to win top prize ahead of Whittlesey Extravaganza
- 7 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 8 'Wide range of people' will benefit from village homes, say developers
- 9 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 10 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
• A BLISTERING 85 not out from James Harradine helped March II finish their campaign with a three-wicket friendly win over Godolphin.
The opening batsman was the backbone of March’s chase as they passed Godolphin’s total of 160 all out with ease. Earlier, Stuart Arnold and Dave Tufnail had both picked up three-wickets.
• MARCH gave themselves a chance of defending the Ernie Wool Trophy after a seven-wicket thrashing of Somersham on Sunday.
James Shepherd (3-28) led the way for the March bowlers as Somersham were dismissed for 131. Toby Nulty (38) and David Haslegrave (37 not out) helped them to a comfortable victory.
March will defend their trophy against Wisbech on Sunday.
• KURT Cunningham and Ben Perry combined to power Chatteris to a comfortable five-wicket win over rivals Wisbech on Sunday.
Cunningham (4-10) blew away Wisbech’s tail as they posted 146-9 from their 40 overs. Perry (60 not out) and Joe Menarry (26 not out) saw Chatteris home.