Cricket round-up: Menarry hits maiden century as Chatteris thump rivals March
CHATTERIS began their defence of the Fenland Trophy in style after centurions Joe Menarry and Olly Fox powered them to a crushing 173-run victory over rivals March.
Liam Boxall scored a flawless 51 but his dismissal saw Menarry join Fox at the crease for a brutal match-winning partnership.
The pair bludgeoned 40 fours and four sixes between them, with Menarry (112 not out) scoring his maiden century for Chatteris and Fox (130 not out) hitting a career best.
March limped to 154-8 in reply to Chatteris’ mammoth 327-2, with skipper Stephen Wallis (41) and David Haslegrave (40) the main contributors.
• MARCH’S first team suffered their second consecutive defeat in the Tucker Gardner Premier Division One after losing their last wicket off the penultimate ball of the match.
You may also want to watch:
With just two balls remaining, Tommy Howgego was controversially adjudged lbw to give Foxton a 30-run success.
The visitors had made 200-9 before tea, with Matt Wilcox, Chris Ringham and Tyler Phillips picking up two wickets apiece. Wilcox then hit 96 as March fell agonisingly short on 170.
- 1 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 2 Suspected drink-driver, 41, arrested after tip-off from resident
- 3 Man escapes ‘shocking case’ of modern slavery at hand car wash
- 4 DJ, 11, branded 'an inspiration' after winning top award
- 5 Police thank eagle-eyed motorist for being ‘right place, right time’
- 6 Photographer amazed by praise thanks to stunning images of space
- 7 Man who died in road crash is named
- 8 WATCH: Air ambulances can't land after hospital helipad wrecked by US aircraft
- 9 NHS hired conman on £320,000 five months after he was unmasked
- 10 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in live Facebook video stream
The first team suffered a second loss on Sunday, falling to a 38-run defeat against Rutland League Division One favourites Oundle Town.
Stuart Mills hit a career best 76 and Wilcox scored 70 as March failed to reach Oundle’s massive total of 287-4.
• MARCH II failed to follow up their flying start to the season as they lost by eight wickets to Great Shelford.
Mills (44) and Richard Green (18) put on 65 runs as March limped to 115 all out. Green picked up both wickets to fall as Shelford eased home.
• TEENAGER Toby Nulty was the final-over hero as March III won a thriller at Neale-Wade.
Nulty took four wickets and then scored five from the final over to complete a three-wicket win over Little Downham. Scott Welcher (42), James Hilliard (38) and Pat Ringham (36) set the foundations for March’s chase.
It was not such good news for the fourth team who lost by 15 runs to Bar Hill II. Ashley Impey (42) and Dennis Furnell (34) batted well after Nathan Oliver had taken 3-33.
• CHATTERIS’ first team skittled Cambridge NCI II out for 122 to set up a 10-wicket victory.
Ant Palmer (3-17) and Mark Leach (3-34) were the chief destroyers before Kurt Cunningham (60 not out) and James Dawson (57 not out) powered the home side to victory.
• CHATTERIS II dropped five catches as they fell to a 102-run defeat at Longstanton. Kriss Brown (4-53) and Kev Felton (31) were the standout performers.
The third team were dismissed for just 66 in a five-wicket defeat to Abbots Ripton. Skipper Adam Whiting took two wickets as Ripton coasted home.