Cricket round-up: Swing King Ringham bowls table-topping March to priceless victory
CAPTAIN Chris Ringham’s devastating spell of swing bowling helped table-topping March beat the weather to claim a priceless victory over Godmanchester on Saturday.
The March skipper’s first telling contribution was to win the toss, inviting the opposition to bat in favourable conditions for bowlers.
Left-armer Ringham then took full advantage, ripping through the Godmanchester top order to finish with figures of 6-24.
Australian seamer Matt Wilcox (4-42) was also in fine form, claiming the vital wicket of overseas star Chethan William, as Godmanchester folded for just 74.
After frustrating rain delays March made hard work of the modest total, with Shardul Brahmbhatt’s brisk 39 eventually proving enough to see them home by four wickets - keeping them top off the Tucker Gardner Premier Division.
You may also want to watch:
The first team sealed a memorable weekend by smashing Market Deeping by 154 runs on Sunday.
Wilcox took his run tally for the season past 1,000 with another century, crashing 111 to power March to 229 all out. Deeping were bowled out for just 75 in reply, with off-spinner Shardul Brahmbhatt claiming 5-13 off just seven overs.
- 1 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 2 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 3 'Big red key' used by cops in dawn raid on suspected drug dealers
- 4 Ditch crash victim seriously injured
- 5 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 6 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 7 Council offers reserved parking for elderly heading for Covid jab
- 8 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
- 9 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
- 10 Coronavirus test centre staff ‘receive abuse’ from angry motorists
• WHILE the table-topping second team’s game at Balsham fell foul of the weather, the third team slumped to a dismal defeat against Sutton in Cambs Junior 2A.
Jamie Stimpson top-scored with 41 not out in March’s total of 130-8 but Sutton cruised to a comfortable six-wicket victory.
• MARCH IV dodged the showers to inflict the first defeat of the season upon Cambs Junior 5A leaders Sutton II.
Opening batsman Dennis Furnell (26) top-scored for the visitors in their 130-8 total. Lewis Hilliard (4-25) and Manuj Patel (3-22) then helped dismiss the home side for just 85.
• CHATTERIS waltzed to their sixth consecutive triumph to stay top of Cambs Senior Division Three.
The four-part bowling attack of Joe Menarry, Mark Leach, Dom Platt and Andy Wool saw Barrington crumble to 99 all out. Kurt Cunningham hammered 49 not out to lead Chatteris to a comfortable nine-wicket win.
Chatteris’ second and third teams both had their games abandoned as rain played havoc with the fixture list.