Cricket round-up: Weather can’t stop Wilcox as March stroll to Sunday victories
TORRENTIAL rain played havoc with the fixture list on Saturday - as only a handful of cricket matches took place across the county.
But one team who did conquer the conditions were Wimblington, who braved the downpours to record an impressive 10-wicket win over Littleport II.
The weather couldn’t stop March’s Australian star Matt Wilcox on Sunday - as he inspired his side to a crushing 117-run victory over struggling Medbourne in Rutland Division One.
The seamer took 8-27 - his best figures for the club - as March dismissed Medbourne for a lowly 82. March had earlier posted 199 all out with James Hilliard top-scoring with a first team personal best of 79.
• MARCH II made it four consecutive wins with a derby triumph over Leverington on Sunday.
You may also want to watch:
Teenage debutant Jacob Brown took two wickets as March restricted Leverington to 134-5 from their 40 overs in a friendly at The Avenue.
March had looked in trouble at 81-6 but a composed unbeaten partnership of 51 from James Beresford (32 not out) and David Russell (21 not out) saw them home.
- 1 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
- 2 Work starts on £3.16m apprenticeship training school
- 3 Customers report summerhouse builder to fraud investigators
- 4 Theatre group stalwart steps down after nine years
- 5 Yard sale raises over £1,400 from second annual event
- 6 Health chief’s stark warning: ‘The virus doesn’t care we changed the rules’
- 7 'Panicked' dangerous driver apologised after 90mph police pursuit
- 8 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 9 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 10 Medieval pottery unearthed at Cambs campsite
• GARY Freear took 6-16 as Wisbech waltzed to a nine-wicket victory over Oakham in Rutland Division Two on Sunday.
The off-spinner continued his golden form as Oakham folded for 102. David Wood (62 not out) smashed 28 off the final over as Wisbech raced to their target off just 12 overs.
• WISBECH II came up against a strong Kimbolton & Catworth side on Sunday - losing by 103 runs.
Kimbolton smashed 127 without loss off the first 14 overs - declaring on a mighty 278-2 from 38 overs. Martin Parrin and Hassan Ahmed were the Wisbech wicket-takers.
Wisbech managed 175-7 in reply, with opener Keith Jakings top-scoring with 52.