Cricket round-up: Wisbech thump Doddington while March suffer title setback
WISBECH II thumped Doddington by nine wickets in Saturday’s Fenland derby.
Ben Pyle (70) top-scored as Doddington reached 160-9. Drew Jones (3-45) and Lyndon Waters (3-38) were the pick of Wisbech’s bowlers.
In reply, Danny Emmington (79 not out) and Jason Esser (58 not out) secured Wisbech’s comfortable win. Pyle (1-40) took Doddington’s only wicket.
• MARCH dropped from first to fourth in the Tucker Gardner Premier Division after a 112-run defeat to third-placed Godmanchester.
Chris Ringham (3-57) and Tommy Howgego (3-34) were March’s best bowlers on the day as Godmanchester posted 251-8.
In reply, five March batsmen were dismissed for 0 with top-scorer Carl Chapman (56) impressing as his side stumbed to 139 all out.
• WISBECH were just one wicket away from beating Ickwell on Saturday.
- 1 Drug-driver killed co-worker on B1101 Elm Road in March
- 2 Man, 28, and boy, 15, arrested after major A1101 crash in Wisbech
- 3 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 4 Jailed: 58-year-old burglar who stole £57,000 BMW M4 in Wisbech
- 5 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
- 6 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 7 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 8 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 9 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 10 Shoplifter barred from every M&S and Sainsbury's in Cambridgeshire
Gary Freear (107 not out) and brother Simon (79) smashed Wisbech to 265-8. However, despite Craig Johnson’s (6-85) best efforts Ickwell clung on to post 237-9 and share the points.
• SENSATIONAL opener Kurt Cunningham’s 115 not out helped Chatteris beat Somershaw by 102 runs.
Cunningham’s sixth league century of the season - part of 207-run partnership with Alex Platt (81) - saw promoted Chatteris post 220-2.
Chatteris’ star bowlers were Andy Wool, James Fuller and Dom Platt who all took three wickets each.
• CAPTAIN John Wallis (82 not out) helped March II secure runners-up spot in Cambs Senior Division One with a 47-run win over already-relegated Bluntisham.
Wallis’ highest score of the season pushed March’s total to 201-6 before Richard Green (4-27) and Callum Young (3-19) shared seven wickets as the home side crumbled to 154 all out.
• RELEGATED Chatteris III lost to Doddington II by 34 runs in a Cambs Junior Division 4A Fenland derby.
Doddington set 216-7 as Josh Fox (2-20) starred for Chatteris with the ball. However, despite Les Connett’s career best of 42 Chatteris could only reach 182 before being bowled out.
• GARY Alexander’s 70 wasn’t enough to prevent Wisbech III losing to Sutton by 48 runs.
Ryan Van Waterschoot, Nick Drew and Martin Parrin took two wickets apiece as Sutton set 247 for victory. Wisbech were skittled for 198 in reply.
• AARON Cobb, Ian Cooper, Lee Peck and John Gill all helped themselves to two wickets as Leverington skittled Soham for 69.
Simon Gilbert (40 not out) eased his side to a comfortable nine-wicket win.
• JORDAN Morgan hit 12 runs off the final three balls to earn March III a thrilling two-wicket win over Needingworth.
James Beresford (4-28) pegged Needingworth back to 210-7 before Jamie Stimpson (82) rescued March - who were 57-5 - to post a winning total of 214-8.