CRICKET: Start of the season delayed for Wisbech Town and March Town
- Credit: Archant
The two leading clubs in the area have seen the start of the new season delayed by a week.
The Cambs & Hunts Premier League – which features Wisbech Town and March Town in Whiting & Partners Division One - was due to get underway this Saturday.
But league chiefs have pushed back the start date to April 21 due to wet weather and extended the season by a week in September with the opening round of fixtures now being moved to the final day of the campaign.
Wisbech and March both begin the campaign by facing newly-promoted opponents on April 21. Wisbech host Sawston & Babraham while March go to Kimbolton.
Wisbech’s traditional two-day fixture against an MCC XI – which was due to take place today (Wednesday) and tomorrow at Harecroft Road – has also been a casualty of the weather. It’s thought to be the first time in 15 years the game has had to be postponed.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s a real shame to have to call the MCC game off,” said skipper Gary Freear. “But with so much rain around lately that we’ve not been able to prepare the ground.”
Freear hopes two weekend home friendlies – against Whiting & Partners Division One rivals Ramsey on Saturday and Downham Town on Sunday (both 12.30pm starts) – will go ahead.
- 1 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
- 2 Work starts on £3.16m apprenticeship training school
- 3 Customers report summerhouse builder to fraud investigators
- 4 Theatre group stalwart steps down after nine years
- 5 Yard sale raises over £1,400 from second annual event
- 6 Health chief’s stark warning: ‘The virus doesn’t care we changed the rules’
- 7 'Panicked' dangerous driver apologised after 90mph police pursuit
- 8 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 9 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 10 Medieval pottery unearthed at Cambs campsite
March host Downham on Saturday - weather permitting - at The Avenue (12.30pm).