CRICKET: Start of the season delayed for Wisbech Town and March Town
- Credit: Archant
The two leading clubs in the area have seen the start of the new season delayed by a week.
The Cambs & Hunts Premier League – which features Wisbech Town and March Town in Whiting & Partners Division One - was due to get underway this Saturday.
But league chiefs have pushed back the start date to April 21 due to wet weather and extended the season by a week in September with the opening round of fixtures now being moved to the final day of the campaign.
Wisbech and March both begin the campaign by facing newly-promoted opponents on April 21. Wisbech host Sawston & Babraham while March go to Kimbolton.
Wisbech’s traditional two-day fixture against an MCC XI – which was due to take place today (Wednesday) and tomorrow at Harecroft Road – has also been a casualty of the weather. It’s thought to be the first time in 15 years the game has had to be postponed.
“It’s a real shame to have to call the MCC game off,” said skipper Gary Freear. “But with so much rain around lately that we’ve not been able to prepare the ground.”
Freear hopes two weekend home friendlies – against Whiting & Partners Division One rivals Ramsey on Saturday and Downham Town on Sunday (both 12.30pm starts) – will go ahead.
- 1 Crews tackle blaze in Wisbech
- 2 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 3 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 4 Man assaulted woman and verbally abused hotel staff
- 5 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 6 Man charged with attempted murder as stab victim is found
- 7 Domestic abuser tried to strangle and suffocate mother of his child
- 8 Man charged following Peterborough murder
- 9 Clarion Housing ‘cyber incident’ affects thousands of tenants
- 10 Man dies after van and lorry crash on A141
March host Downham on Saturday - weather permitting - at The Avenue (12.30pm).