CRICKET: They’ll drink to that! Welney Croft capture Elgoods Brewery sponsorship deal
- Credit: Archant
Welney Croft Cricket Club is a club on the up – and has added to its recent rise by capturing a new sponsor.
The Mid Norfolk Sunday Cricket League outfit have been kitted out by Elgoods Brewery and celebrated the occasion last weekend with a friendly victory over TAQ of Cambridge.
The new sponsor marks a new era for the club, having recently won two promotions in the last three seasons and the use of the village’s new pavilion thanks to Sport England.
Welney’s skipper, John Gill, said: “As a local club punching above its weight in the league structure, we rely heavily on the assistance from the parish council, local businesses and volunteers.
“It’s a really great boost to our efforts to continue to play cricket at Welney Croft to have secured sponsorship from both Elgoods and the Lamb and Flag.”
You may also want to watch:
Paul Harvey, manager at the Lamb and Flag in Welney, said the pub was happy to help: “The Lamb and Flag is a traditional village pub and we’re pleased to be the club’s watering hole after their home matches.
“It’s great to see a local team having success and we are really happy to support them.”
- 1 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 2 161-mile trip from Yorkshire to Fen village ends in Covid breach fine
- 3 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 4 Stolen American-style fridge was lifted over 10ft security fence
- 5 MP wants an end to floods misery in the Fens
- 6 All staff and residents at Chatteris care home now vaccinated against Covid
- 7 First large-scale Cambs Covid-19 vaccination centres open this week
- 8 Dad has 'much more energy to run around' with son after losing four stone
- 9 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response
- 10 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs already this year
Welney are currently sat in second place in the Boyle Division On having won four of their eight league matches so far.
They will hope to make it five on September 10 when they travel to league leaders, Fakenham.
Who are Welney Croft Cricket Club?
• Welney Croft is a club with a long pedigree dating back to the 19th century.
• It’s believed that the great WG Grace played on the Welney grounds.
• The current club was actually formed in 1999 following disbandment of Welney CC the previous season.
• At the AGM held in the Lamb & Flag Inn in 2000, the club adopted the title ‘Welney Croft Cricket Club,’ the additional word ‘Croft’, taken from a small river running through Welney.
• The club made the decision to join the Mid Norfolk Sunday Cricket League in 2012.