CRICKET: They’ll drink to that! Welney Croft capture Elgoods Brewery sponsorship deal
- Credit: Archant
Welney Croft Cricket Club is a club on the up – and has added to its recent rise by capturing a new sponsor.
The Mid Norfolk Sunday Cricket League outfit have been kitted out by Elgoods Brewery and celebrated the occasion last weekend with a friendly victory over TAQ of Cambridge.
The new sponsor marks a new era for the club, having recently won two promotions in the last three seasons and the use of the village’s new pavilion thanks to Sport England.
Welney’s skipper, John Gill, said: “As a local club punching above its weight in the league structure, we rely heavily on the assistance from the parish council, local businesses and volunteers.
“It’s a really great boost to our efforts to continue to play cricket at Welney Croft to have secured sponsorship from both Elgoods and the Lamb and Flag.”
Paul Harvey, manager at the Lamb and Flag in Welney, said the pub was happy to help: “The Lamb and Flag is a traditional village pub and we’re pleased to be the club’s watering hole after their home matches.
“It’s great to see a local team having success and we are really happy to support them.”
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 3 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 4 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 5 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 6 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 7 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 8 Rachael takes bronze at national hairdressing competition
- 9 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 10 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
Welney are currently sat in second place in the Boyle Division On having won four of their eight league matches so far.
They will hope to make it five on September 10 when they travel to league leaders, Fakenham.
Who are Welney Croft Cricket Club?
• Welney Croft is a club with a long pedigree dating back to the 19th century.
• It’s believed that the great WG Grace played on the Welney grounds.
• The current club was actually formed in 1999 following disbandment of Welney CC the previous season.
• At the AGM held in the Lamb & Flag Inn in 2000, the club adopted the title ‘Welney Croft Cricket Club,’ the additional word ‘Croft’, taken from a small river running through Welney.
• The club made the decision to join the Mid Norfolk Sunday Cricket League in 2012.