CRICKET: Wisbech make easy work of March Town challenge in all-Fenland encounter
- Credit: Archant
March Town’s two-match winning sequence came to a grinding halt at Harecroft Road on Saturday when local rivals Wisbech Town won their Whiting & Partners Division One derby by a comfortable 84 runs.
The first and last wicket partnerships provided March with the bulk of their 162 all out total - the openers putting on 35 in quick time and No 10 Lewis Welcher top-scoring with 34 as the final pair added 45 runs.
There were three of four loose shots from the top order that sealed the visitors’ fate in reply to the Wisbech total of 246-8.
However, March can take plenty of positives from the manner in which they responded in the field when Gary Freear and James Williams started to score freely at 139-2 with a third wicket stand of 71. The end result could easily have been a 300-plus target.
Williams was bowled by spinner Ben Pyle, while Freear had his eyes set on his sixth Saturday ton of the season before being smartly stumped by Welcher.
March go to Foxton on Saturday (12pm).
- 1 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 2 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 3 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 4 Motorcyclist, 32, injured after A605 crash
- 5 Convenience store transformed thanks to £116k facelift
- 6 ‘We try to think outside the box’ - Alpacas pay a visit to care home
- 7 WATCH: Extinction Rebellion block Amazon warehouse
- 8 Best Indian in CAMBRIDGESHIRE even though award says best in NORFOLK
- 9 Police shut off A605 after 'single vehicle' crash
- 10 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall