CRICKET: Wisbech make easy work of March Town challenge in all-Fenland encounter
- Credit: Archant
March Town’s two-match winning sequence came to a grinding halt at Harecroft Road on Saturday when local rivals Wisbech Town won their Whiting & Partners Division One derby by a comfortable 84 runs.
The first and last wicket partnerships provided March with the bulk of their 162 all out total - the openers putting on 35 in quick time and No 10 Lewis Welcher top-scoring with 34 as the final pair added 45 runs.
There were three of four loose shots from the top order that sealed the visitors’ fate in reply to the Wisbech total of 246-8.
However, March can take plenty of positives from the manner in which they responded in the field when Gary Freear and James Williams started to score freely at 139-2 with a third wicket stand of 71. The end result could easily have been a 300-plus target.
Williams was bowled by spinner Ben Pyle, while Freear had his eyes set on his sixth Saturday ton of the season before being smartly stumped by Welcher.
You may also want to watch:
March go to Foxton on Saturday (12pm).
- 1 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 2 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 3 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 4 'Police repeatedly failed me' over noisy neighbour saga, claims resident
- 5 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 6 Fleeing heroin dealer rams police car but they get him in the end
- 7 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 8 Man charged with murder of woman in her 70s
- 9 Lorry driver loses control on motorway in booze-fuelled collision
- 10 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list