CRICKET: Wisbech make easy work of March Town challenge in all-Fenland encounter
- Credit: Archant
March Town’s two-match winning sequence came to a grinding halt at Harecroft Road on Saturday when local rivals Wisbech Town won their Whiting & Partners Division One derby by a comfortable 84 runs.
The first and last wicket partnerships provided March with the bulk of their 162 all out total - the openers putting on 35 in quick time and No 10 Lewis Welcher top-scoring with 34 as the final pair added 45 runs.
There were three of four loose shots from the top order that sealed the visitors’ fate in reply to the Wisbech total of 246-8.
However, March can take plenty of positives from the manner in which they responded in the field when Gary Freear and James Williams started to score freely at 139-2 with a third wicket stand of 71. The end result could easily have been a 300-plus target.
Williams was bowled by spinner Ben Pyle, while Freear had his eyes set on his sixth Saturday ton of the season before being smartly stumped by Welcher.
You may also want to watch:
March go to Foxton on Saturday (12pm).
- 1 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 2 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 3 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 4 Missing dog found thanks to drone footage
- 5 Five generations of family members meet up for the first time
- 6 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 7 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 8 HMO plans submitted for village pub
- 9 Heroin worth £1.7m found in holdall in car in St Neots
- 10 Motorist crashes into telephone pole at Wyton