Cyclists encouraged to use their pedal power as Alzheimer’s Research teams up with the Tour of Cambridgeshire
- Credit: Archant
Cyclists are being encouraged to take to the saddle and hit the road to drive dementia research forward as Alzheimer’s Research UK announces a new partnership with one of the UK’s biggest cycling events - the Tour of Cambridgeshire Gran Fondo.
The Tour of Cambridgeshire Gran Fondo brings together cyclists of all abilities in a traffic-free, closed-road event, set against the picturesque backdrop of rural Cambridgeshire.
Alzheimer’s Research UK has partnered with event organisers to raise awareness and vital funds for dementia research through The Tour of Cambridgeshire.
The charity is calling on cyclists to get behind the fight against dementia and get on their bikes during the event in early June, which starts and ends in Peterborough and offers the rare opportunity to take over country roads for the day.
Malcolm Smith, Commercial Director of the Tour of Cambridgeshire, said of the partnership: “With more than 850,000 people living with dementia in the UK we believe that Alzheimer’s Research UK is one of the key causes in the UK today and we are proud to have them partnering with The Tour of Cambridgeshire.”
You may also want to watch:
The event has been put together by the Very Cool Event Management Company in partnership with Union Cycliste Internationale, the world’s governing body for cycling, with four different categories to allow everyone from beginners to elite riders to take part: race, sport, challenge and leisure.
Kenneth Foreman, Sporting Event Manager at Alzheimer’s Research UK, said: “Whether you enjoy a Sunday morning bike ride or fancy a new cycling challenge The Tour of Cambridgeshire is for you – it offers something for everyone. We just ask you get behind us and help push us one step closer to defeating dementia.
- 1 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 2 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 3 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 4 MP praises 'fantastic' vaccine team after having Covid-19 jab
- 5 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 6 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 7 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 8 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 9 Here are your winners of the Pride of Whittlesey awards
- 10 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
“Currently one in three people over 65 will die with some form of dementia. It can only be defeated through research but funding lags far behind other serious diseases.
“The money raised will make a real difference, bringing us ever nearer to finding new preventions and treatments through the world-class research we fund.
“We can’t thank everyone at The Tour of Cambridgeshire enough for their determination to help us defeat dementia.”
For full details about the event, the categories and to enter the race visit www.tourofcambridgeshire.com/, and to sign up as an Alzheimer’s Research UK fundraiser for the event visit www.alzheimersresearchuk.org/event/tour-of-cambridgeshire-2016/.