Darts: Cambridgeshire return victorious from Cheshire
Cambridgeshire travelled to take on Cheshire in the Kaliber Inter-Counties Premier Division and came away with a 23-16 victory. The ladies A team had a close match and, despite the score finishing as a draw, it could so easily have been a 6-0 victory in
Cambridgeshire travelled to take on Cheshire in the Kaliber Inter-Counties Premier Division and came away with a 23-16 victory.
The ladies' A team had a close match and, despite the score finishing as a draw, it could so easily have been a 6-0 victory in Cambs' favour.
Only Lorraine Gilbert won from the first four players but six unanswered legs from Ronnie Johnson and Heather Phillips saw Cambs get a deserved draw.
Cambs had a great start in the men's B match when Simon Palmer won 3-0 in 16, 17 and 18 darts to take the match award. Ironically on his last appearance at this venue, Simon played on both days and took the match award on both occasions.
You may also want to watch:
Grant Watson, with his first senior county win, put Cambs 2-0 ahead and further wins from Bill Richards and Andy Smith extended the lead to 4-2 at the midway point.
Cambs held on for the 7-5 team win when Chris Sheldrake, Ron Pettit, who came from 2-0 behind and clinched his win with a 152 out, and Roger Corby all won before Cheshire took the final two games.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 5 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 6 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 7 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 8 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 9 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 10 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
There were some solid performances from the Cambs ladies' A team winners.
Rebecca Rose and Nadine Bentley put Cambs in to a lead which was never surrendered. The win was clinched by match award winner Juliet Findley and Sandra Greatbatch.
Cambs battled to a 2-0 lead with wins from Dave Pinder and Mark Spight and then went 3-0 down before the match of the weekend saw Andy Boulton and Shaun Greatbatch take to the stage.
The first four legs went with the darts as Andy won in 21 and 14 darts and Shaun replied with two 17-darters to set up a last leg decider.
Andy had the throw and he left double top after just 12 darts. However, Shaun was not to be denied as he scored 180, 100, 91 and 130 out on the bull.
Martin Adams and Ian Brand won the next two games to ensure Cambs clinched the overall bonus points and a win from Steve Roberts meant the 'A' team had earned a draw. Garry Kilpatrick had a 112 shot out in his defeat.