Darts: Cambridgeshire return victorious from Cheshire
Cambridgeshire travelled to take on Cheshire in the Kaliber Inter-Counties Premier Division and came away with a 23-16 victory. The ladies A team had a close match and, despite the score finishing as a draw, it could so easily have been a 6-0 victory in
Cambridgeshire travelled to take on Cheshire in the Kaliber Inter-Counties Premier Division and came away with a 23-16 victory.
The ladies' A team had a close match and, despite the score finishing as a draw, it could so easily have been a 6-0 victory in Cambs' favour.
Only Lorraine Gilbert won from the first four players but six unanswered legs from Ronnie Johnson and Heather Phillips saw Cambs get a deserved draw.
Cambs had a great start in the men's B match when Simon Palmer won 3-0 in 16, 17 and 18 darts to take the match award. Ironically on his last appearance at this venue, Simon played on both days and took the match award on both occasions.
Grant Watson, with his first senior county win, put Cambs 2-0 ahead and further wins from Bill Richards and Andy Smith extended the lead to 4-2 at the midway point.
Cambs held on for the 7-5 team win when Chris Sheldrake, Ron Pettit, who came from 2-0 behind and clinched his win with a 152 out, and Roger Corby all won before Cheshire took the final two games.
- 1 A1 Northbound shut due to overturned lorry near Peterborough
- 2 Recap: Main road through Wisbech town centre shut after serious crash
- 3 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 4 Fenland Farmers Tractor Run 2022 to raise money for MAGPAS
- 5 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 6 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 7 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 8 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 9 Drink-drivers banned off the roads after being caught in March and Wisbech
- 10 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
There were some solid performances from the Cambs ladies' A team winners.
Rebecca Rose and Nadine Bentley put Cambs in to a lead which was never surrendered. The win was clinched by match award winner Juliet Findley and Sandra Greatbatch.
Cambs battled to a 2-0 lead with wins from Dave Pinder and Mark Spight and then went 3-0 down before the match of the weekend saw Andy Boulton and Shaun Greatbatch take to the stage.
The first four legs went with the darts as Andy won in 21 and 14 darts and Shaun replied with two 17-darters to set up a last leg decider.
Andy had the throw and he left double top after just 12 darts. However, Shaun was not to be denied as he scored 180, 100, 91 and 130 out on the bull.
Martin Adams and Ian Brand won the next two games to ensure Cambs clinched the overall bonus points and a win from Steve Roberts meant the 'A' team had earned a draw. Garry Kilpatrick had a 112 shot out in his defeat.