Doddington Bowls Club crowned national champions
DODDINGTON Short Mat Bowls Club have been crowned English champions following an inspired performance at the national finals in Rugby.
The team have now been invited back to face the England squad in September after their 7-2 victory against Somerset’s Templecomb in the final. It capped off a fantastic day for the side who breezed through the group stages collecting 25 points from a possible 27.
Ecstatic squad member Robert Elmore said: “It’s great for the club and for all the team.
“We are delighted and to be honest I still can’t believe we did it but it’s an amazing feeling to win a national event.
“After not qualifying from Round One last year my aim was for the team to just get through to the finals. I always thought that if we could play and pull off some shots like we do on practice nights and in local games then we would have every chance.”
You may also want to watch:
The team, consisting of Ray Boon (Pairs and Fours), Brian Elmore (Triples), Edward Elmore (Pairs and Fours), Pauline Elmore (Fours), Robert Elmore (Singles and Triples) and Joe Peters (Triples and Fours) saw off sides from West Sussex, Somerset and Norfolk in the group stage. They then held their nerve to clinch the final and hope the success will take the club to greater heights in the future.
Elmore said: “This has put Doddington Short Mat Bowls Club on the map once again to bowlers all over the country.”
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 3 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Residents urged to take twice-weekly rapid Covid-19 tests
- 6 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 7 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 8 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 9 High Sheriff of Cambridgeshire honoured with new role
- 10 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
“I would welcome anyone who would like to visit the club on a Tuesday night to have a go at the sport. This success means we will go and defend the title again next year and look forward to playing against the England team in September.”
The Doddington bowlers meet every Tuesday night (7-10pm) at the Village Hall For further information contact Robert on 01354 740044.