Doddington Bowls Club crowned national champions
DODDINGTON Short Mat Bowls Club have been crowned English champions following an inspired performance at the national finals in Rugby.
The team have now been invited back to face the England squad in September after their 7-2 victory against Somerset’s Templecomb in the final. It capped off a fantastic day for the side who breezed through the group stages collecting 25 points from a possible 27.
Ecstatic squad member Robert Elmore said: “It’s great for the club and for all the team.
“We are delighted and to be honest I still can’t believe we did it but it’s an amazing feeling to win a national event.
“After not qualifying from Round One last year my aim was for the team to just get through to the finals. I always thought that if we could play and pull off some shots like we do on practice nights and in local games then we would have every chance.”
You may also want to watch:
The team, consisting of Ray Boon (Pairs and Fours), Brian Elmore (Triples), Edward Elmore (Pairs and Fours), Pauline Elmore (Fours), Robert Elmore (Singles and Triples) and Joe Peters (Triples and Fours) saw off sides from West Sussex, Somerset and Norfolk in the group stage. They then held their nerve to clinch the final and hope the success will take the club to greater heights in the future.
Elmore said: “This has put Doddington Short Mat Bowls Club on the map once again to bowlers all over the country.”
- 1 It's a family affair as planners consider five luxury homes
- 2 Three stores evacuated after suspect 'bomb scare'
- 3 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 4 Police warn you may run but you can't hide from us
- 5 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 6 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 7 Family remembers 'cheeky, friendly and well-liked' mechanic
- 8 Hares hit five, Wisbech win, Whittlesey victorious as Drove triumph
- 9 Chatteris firm with £20m growth plan
- 10 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
“I would welcome anyone who would like to visit the club on a Tuesday night to have a go at the sport. This success means we will go and defend the title again next year and look forward to playing against the England team in September.”
The Doddington bowlers meet every Tuesday night (7-10pm) at the Village Hall For further information contact Robert on 01354 740044.